GM 6.2 diesel in an 87 Pathfinder?

Beemer

Hey guys, I have a spare 6.2 diesel with a gale banks sidewinder turbo kit on it that is just gathering dust, and I'm thinking about stuffing it in my bargain basement pathfinder (610 bucks off ebay yesterday).

I was wondering if the engine bay would be large enough to stuff this thing in there, and if I could make an adapter plate to run the stock automatic trans.

The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a chevy 350, with the exception that the 6.2 has the top center bolt boss missing (the one behind the distributor on a marine 350)

With the outrageous cost of a nissan diesel JDM motor, I thought this might work fairly well, although it will be one heavy front end compared to stock. (the motor weighs something like 600 pounds or so)

I want to use the Pathfinder more for a tow rig for my race car. I have an 84 suburban with the 6.2 diesel and a year specific banks turbo system on it, but that only gets around 18mpg, mostly due to it being a barn door pushing thru the air. The trailer is around a ton, and the car is 3k pounds, and I doubt the stock 3 liter v6 could pull that load very well, hence "using what I have".

If anyone has done either this, or a dodge cummins conversion (or any other non-nissan diesel conversion) please let me know. I saw the diesel section here, but that's pretty much for nissan diesel (factory everywhere else but the US) diesel motors. This motor is old enough that it has a mechanical injection system (it is out of an 89 C3500 originally) and essentially the only wires that need to be hooked up are the shutoff valve (to kill the motor when you turn the key off) and sensor wiring like oil/temp/voltage/etc and of course the starter circuit.

The Pathfinder I bought is in new jersey, and I'm in omaha, so I don't exactly have the engine bay handy to look at myself.

Thanks for the help..and if anyone knows if there is a LOWER NUMERICAL gear ratio that was used on these differentials, let me know. I'd love to find a set of 2.73 gears, or even 3.08 or so. That would let me use the diesel's torque to maximum effect, and keep the revs down at highway speeds.

Dave

You can make anything work, it just depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put into a project.

I would just wonder if the engine is skinny enough to fit inside the engine compartment, and short enough not to interfere with the suspension

I think 4x4 parts sells a 350 tranny adapter. and theres a datsun 510 site that also sells parts you might need. I'm guessing the pathfinder with its cast iorn block and overbuilt forged internals weighs almost 500 lbs so another 100 or so in the bay souldn't hurt you if you run aftermarket t-bars.

Wow! Just looked up ambitious in the dictionary and found your letter!

I do know folks have successfully transplanted SBC's in there. I believe AC even offered a kit to help.

Space is going to be a serious challenge - especially with a 4x4. The differential and steering are going to pose major obstacles for you. You may end up fabbing a custom oil pan to fit. Obviously, all of the exhaust piping is going to be extremely custom.

You can do a body lift and get a lot more vertical room. The suspension is torsion bar and the inner fender wells are non-structural, so that gives you a lot of latitude in making room horizontally.

Forward clearance for accessory drive and radiator will also require some creativity.

Bottom line, I think it could be done, but I foresee some real challenges!

And unfortunately, when you're all done you'll still have a short wheelbase vehicle that was not really designed for anything beyond casual lightweight towing. The auotmatic trans may prove to be a weak link. I believe the diff and frame are capable (assuming frame is rust free - which is iffy if they use salt in Jersey), but it will never be nearly as stable as a big ol' long wheelbase suburban, and will get the attention of every LEO you see as they will not believe that vehicle is capable of what you're doing. If they enforce GCWR limits in your state, you may be in legal violation as well.

All in all, I have to say the WD21 makes a far better off road truck than a tow rig. I used my pathy to haul a twin axle flat bed and the engine/suspensionless carcass of a full size G van across town, and I was far from comfortable. I also use it to push my 6000 pound travel trailer around the yard, but have never even considered trying to tow more than a couple hundred feet. The wheelbase is just too short for any stability, and the suspension is way too soft. Could it do it? Probably. But not a really good match.

I think 4x4 parts sells a 350 tranny adapter. and theres a datsun 510 site that also sells parts you might need. I'm guessing the pathfinder with its cast iorn block and overbuilt forged internals weighs almost 500 lbs so another 100 or so in the bay souldn't hurt you if you run aftermarket t-bars.

Actually a vg30e long block only weighs in at 325 pounds, a engine with all accessories weighs in at 385.

Actually a vg30e long block only weighs in at 325 pounds, a engine with all accessories weighs in at 385.

really? wow thats lighter that I thought. do you think a vg33 is lighter because of (same block)bigger bore or heavier because of bigger pistons? its prolly not enough to matter is it?