Need Input; 1989 Nissan PU randomly cutting out

78sharpshooter

1989 D21 PU runs good, but a month or so ago on the freeway it felt like it shut off for a split second. The past few days it suddenly became more frequent so I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, pulled the seat and did each diagnostic mode in the ECU and the only thing that came up was 32 (EGR valve) but did the finger test and the valve seems to be functioning. I also tested the coils which were fine. But it still does it and it feels like it just shuts off for .1 seconds. I used a stick to move some of the wiring around while it was running in the driveway but could not reproduce the problem. I am stuck and need input.

1989 D21 PU runs good, but a month or so ago on the freeway it felt like it shut off for a split second. The past few days it suddenly became more frequent so I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, pulled the seat and did each diagnostic mode in the ECU and the only thing that came up was 32 (EGR valve) but did the finger test and the valve seems to be functioning. I also tested the coils which were fine. But it still does it and it feels like it just shuts off for .1 seconds. I used a stick to move some of the wiring around while it was running in the driveway but could not reproduce the problem. I am stuck and need input.

It might be your ignition switch shorting out? By the way you describe it, sounds like the engine is turning off for a split second? Like if you're driving down the road and you twist the key off then on quickly?

Do you hit any bumps when this happens?

It might be your ignition switch shorting out? By the way you describe it, sounds like the engine is turning off for a split second? Like if you're driving down the road and you twist the key off then on quickly?

Do you hit any bumps when this happens?

Funny you say that because the ignition switch is able to be turned on by any key and you can pull the key out while it is running. I have the key in most of the time and yesterday when making a long left turn I hit a bump and it did cut out like I described. Should I pull the steering column cover and wiggle some wires while it is running?

More like jiggle the key up and down, back and forth and then add a slight rotation to the mix. That should tell you if it is the ignition switch/contacts. Do you have a heavy key chain? Someone else had this type of ignition issue recently, let me find it.

B

Here it is, perhaps it helps? A place to start, anyway, you have done most of the obvious replacements...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry343666

More like jiggle the key up and down, back and forth and then add a slight rotation to the mix. That should tell you if it is the ignition switch/contacts. Do you have a heavy key chain? Someone else had this type of ignition issue recently, let me find it.

B

Here it is, perhaps it helps? A place to start, anyway, you have done most of the obvious replacements...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry343666

X2

my freind had that same thing happen when the car is on you can pull the key out and what not I was even able to take my pathy key and stick it in there and turn it on. We found out that little black button on the ignition what you normally need to push to release they was stuck in. if you can pop it out or unjam it then it might fix that. we did that to his and now he cant pull the key off when its running and i cant start it with my key haha. Give that a try!