First Post - Rough Ride in 2003 LE

onmy4thpathy

Just wanted to say hello with my first post. I have a 2003 LE, my 4th pathy. Have also owned an 87XE, an 87SE and a 95SE, all of which I did take off road. This one is more for city and hwy driving (often a 1 year old in the back seat).

Question, anyone have a rough ride in a 2003 or similar? I'm the 3rd owner and think everything is stock. Back end bounces extremely hard over bumps, dips, etc; and I get a lot of road noise from the back as well. I don't remember that ever happening in my 95 SE. Any thoughts?

Welcome to NPORA!

The ride in the 2002 should be a lot softer than the 95. Typically the R50 pathy (96-02) is more car-like in handling than the older ones. I would have a look at the shocks, and possibly bushings in the control arms... maybe they're worn?? As for road noise, how are the tires??

I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in with more useful information!

Welcome to NPORA!

The suspension on the front and back of this pathy is different than the older ones you had. Although that said, the ride in the 2002 should be a lot softer than the 95. Typically the R50 pathy (96-02) is more car-like in handling than the older ones. I would have a look at the shocks, and possibly bushings in the control arms... maybe they're worn?? As for road noise, how are the tires??

I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in with more useful information!

Thanks!

4 month old tires on the front, older on the back, but plenty of tread. About to do a rotation so will see if the new tires on the back still produces similar noise.

I'm smoking crack... the rear suspension isnt that different... Still, I would suggest looking at the same elements to track down the issue.

^ She smokes crack...

Shocks, tire pressure, bushings and has it ever been in an accident affecting the rear of the vehicle?

< Doesn't smoke crack.

Have also owned an 87XE, an 87SE and a 95SE

Nice!! Why was the newer model more attractive? Just newer and more reliable?

B

^ She smokes crack...

Shocks, tire pressure, bushings and has it ever been in an accident affecting the rear of the vehicle?

< Doesn't smoke crack, sells it instead

B

Fixed that for you B :D

Welcome to the family WAVEY

Just wanted to say hello with my first post. I have a 2003 LE, my 4th pathy. Have also owned an 87XE, an 87SE and a 95SE, all of which I did take off road. This one is more for city and hwy driving (often a 1 year old in the back seat).

Question, anyone have a rough ride in a 2003 or similar? I'm the 3rd owner and think everything is stock. Back end bounces extremely hard over bumps, dips, etc; and I get a lot of road noise from the back as well. I don't remember that ever happening in my 95 SE. Any thoughts?

Welcome to NPORA! Enjoy our little home away from home. As for your problems, is the check engine light on? Those engines have known problems with the coils. If you can afford it, replaced them all and be done with it. The rear sounds like a typical issue with the rear links being worn out. Look around the r50 section and you should be able to find more answers to any questions you may have. Once again, welcome!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

^ She smokes crack...

< Doesn't smoke crack.

B

Not sure if there was an accident affecting the rear to be honest. Replacing shocks this week and will follow up after that's completed.

Likes of the newer model over the '95 - more power and better fuel economy. Really loved the looks of the 95 SE though. Lived in California for a stint and traded it in on a Maxima for all of the driving I had to do with my job. Missed my SUV though and bought the 03 LE a couple years ago.

FWIW, I have an 02 LE and it rides like a dream. I would suspect shocks are shot. Also, the OE tire is a passenger tire from what I have gathered... if someone changed yours to light truck tires, that could contribute to the rought ride.

Road noise is likely a function of the tread design rather than the mileage. If the tread has an open shoulder and/or center area it will be more noisy that ones that are closed (continous).