Clutch Noise II

ennacac

I purchased the clutch kit from Redrooster Auto Parts in Minneapolis, guaranteed for life for $190 and drove it back to Wisconsin. Finally got together with a friend and decided to swap out the throwout bearing today along with everything else in the kit.

The bearing has been howling for a couple of weeks now each time I push in the clutch, so I start it up for the two mile drive over to use my friends two post hoist. Bearing starts to howl, then seems to quiet down, then by the time I get to the garage--You guessed it, NO MORE NOISE! I finally decide my 89 is just playing with me and just doesn't trust me to take it apart, so I dig into the project just to tick it off.

First, I forget how to properly take off the torsion bars, and spend half an hour dealing with the left one before I get it off. I finally remember how to do it and the right side takes about five minutes. Next the exhaust-just the right side and left connector along with the two cross members, all are now on the floor. Finally all those pesky bolt holding the transmission/transfer case to the motor and down it goes to the floor.

I find that the original??? throwout bearing is now quiet, but a bit sticky, the clutch looks great along with the pressure plate and the flywheel is perfect with no marks at all on it. Hey it is apart, so everything goes including the center bushing and all the new parts get bolted on.

I then clean up all the parts on the floor (glad I bought the 89 in California last fall, so no rust on anything) and start putting everything back together. First the transmission goes up and just slips in perfectly now that I took off the 4x4 shift lever. The exhaust pipe is another story, what a pain in the A$$ that was and speaking of that, how do you get the starter off the 89 V6? It looks impossible even when the transmission is not there.

After the exhaust, everything went well and it is now back together except for the torsion bars, which I will do tomorrow morning.

What a fun was to spend a beautiful fall day!!

Tom

Bearing starts to howl, then seems to quiet down, then by the time I get to the garage--

Yeah, they do that. Here is a thought that occurred to me since I replaced my clutch (everything) 4 years ago. After 1 year, the throw out bearing would bark sometimes, but usually only on cold start up then nothing. I bled the system, no difference. Did you check the input shaft to the tranny? My guess is if there is a little slop there, the throw out bearing has the play to make noise, even though everything else is good. Not trying to scare you but just something that has me puzzled. Perhaps I'll have better understanding when I pull the tranny again in the next few months...

After the exhaust, everything went well and it is now back together except for the torsion bars, which I will do tomorrow morning.

What a fun was to spend a beautiful fall day!!

Well, I took several days to do it, but I also was very cautious and addressed several other things when I had it jacked up...

B

Well it is back together, although I need to jack up the torsion bars since it is too low for my tastes now. I will do that on my 4 point hoist tomorrow, since with the wheels down it is very easy to do.

It shifts much better now, smoother and of course is very quiet, so I guess it will be just fine and I have the peace of mind that everything actually is new although the parts I took out could have passed for new.

Tom