SPARE WHEEL CARRIER for R50

Mark

Has anyone heard of an OEM Spare Wheel Carrier for R50s?

I have an LPG tank under the back & may want to take the spare off the roof someday...

So far my search for an aftermarket one hasn't produced one that I like (or can easily afford)

Thanks Squam1, your tastes run close to mine here... :)

I've looked at dozens of different versions of these and so far the Kaymar is the best I've found. Problem is:

1) It holds the wheel a couple of inches too high for the flipper glass to open. :o

I don't mind swinging the spare to open the tailgate and haul cargo in and out of the trunk when I'm in the woods. BUT it's a pain in the hiney when you've got armsful of shopping bags in the grocery store carpark and you just need to open the flipper glass.

...and...

2) These things are like $1300 here in Sydney... :oops:

I'll keep looking and update this thread over time for other R50 owners...

Others feel free too...

Cheers,

:beer:

:huh:

I just want everyone reading this to know that in my last post I didn't use the word "hiney".

I used another term for the posterior portion of a person... ;)

It would appear that the computer software censored me. :blink:

I would never deliberately use the word "hiney"...

I have a friend that will custom build one for your receiver hitch for $50 (us). This is a fixed carrier. Or $80 for a drop down. Shipping to Oz might be pretty spendy tho. I'd even let him use my 96 as a pattern.

check out http://www.cbioffroadfab.com for some samples of his work.

I would be eternally greatful if he could build a rear bumper with tire carrier for the R50!!! it would be perfect if he could use your truck for fitment... I'd do it around here, but I have no idea where to look for a competent shop in MA to build a bumper for me. I'd like to try and do it myself, but I don't know where to get the steel, how I would go about cutting and bending, and oh yeah, I don't know how to weld...

• 2 weeks later...

Two Updates:

1. I've just been told by a couple of people that their kaymar carriers allowed their flip-glass to open without swinging the spare. Not sure about their tire size though. :shrug:

2. I just got a copy of the (US/Canada) Nissan Owners manual for '96-'99 Pathfinders and it shows pictures of a factory carrier like the earlier models had and discusses it in the text. :huh: Has anybody seen one of these on an R50?

A friend of mine who has a '96 Pathfinder and he got a rear tire carrier when he bought the truck new. it looks sweet... my '93 XE didnt come with an external carrier... i got a valley industries carrier... i love it... it came as a class II hitch combo... the hitch mounts to the frame and the tire carrier attaches to the hitch through the frame... so my tire carrier can supposeitly hold up to 500 lbs... which i was surprised to read... but its really nice.. it looks nice and clean... i tried to find it on www.valleyindustries.com but i couldnt find it.... when i update my npora website ill add a pic of it....

pat

• 2 weeks later...

Snosnk,

I just noticed your thumbnail pic. You have an R50 with a factory spare wheel carrier, don't you? :P

If it's not any trouble, could you post a pic of your carrier? Depending on price, I may get one shipped to Australia, as we never got the swing-carrier offered for R50 in Oz. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple of pics of my carrier. Hope they help. From the looks of the carrier, it may take some body work to integrate the facetory carrier onto a pathy with out the factory brackets. And whp know about the structural support inside the fender. I'm sure CBI Offroad could build something on a custom bumper that would work. He has a couple of tire carriers that are hitch mount. One fixed, one swing down. The biggest problem I can see with this is that you have to remove the entire carrier to open your gate (fixed), or stumble around your tire (swing down) as it is right underfoot. If you want to check shipping charges Idaho Falls, Idaho is the city and postal code is 83401.

If ya like, I'll borrow a digi-cam and get some more detailed pics of the hinges and such. Let me know

post-9-1093722792.jpg

Snosnk,

Awesome pics. I reckon this is the carrier I'll start looking for. I'll try and find one from a wrecking yard in the US or Canada. Nissan Australia never gave us these after 95. B@$tards.:oops:

I think I can get into that panel by pulling the taillight out. I'll get some sort of reinforcement in there. sly

Just curious, does your flip-glass (not the tailgate-just the window) open without swinging the carrier? or is a 31" spare too big?

I ask 'cuz I have 31" as well (how many blokes would love to say that?) :lol:

Cheers for the pics, mate.

It probably would open but the jack is in the way. The offset of the different rims pushed the spare back far enough that the glass would open if the jack were not in the way.

i have a spare tire carrier on the back of my 96, and i was thinking of taking it off when i paint it, id be willing to part with it for relatively cheap.

Is this offer still open KnightRyder? :)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry about not posting again ive been terribly busy lol. im getting a camera phone within the next couple of days( i know it isnt a great digital camera, but its a start) and ill send some pics of it. its actually just the spare carrier that came stock with the truck from the factory. my guess is it will fit yours fine. i need to come across the mounts to mount the spare underneath minek though, so if u have urs and dont want them id tak em off ur hands ;) i dont know how long it will be for me to find the time to remove it all though, but ill try and keep up my posts, and i have no idea what shipping would be but ill try and find out. :)

Hey guys. I have a '95 XE with the stock carrier that I'm going to put a 10.5x31 tire on. While I know it a slightly different animal, I had the same concern about the flip rear window not clearing. Then I noticed the studs on the carrier are LONG ! 4-5 inches maybe. All you have to do is make 'spacers' out of thick walled pipe (read hacksaw and belt sander) to stand the tire off the carrier a bit and the glass should clear. I plan to machine mine (I'm a machinist) but the pipe would work the same. If you really wanted to get tricky you could even make different length 'spacers' so the top of the tire tilts outwards. I'm guessin maybe 10 degrees tilt is possible which is at least another inch or so. Seems like a cheap easy fix to me. Just thought I'd mention it... Good luck !

Bernard

Just an afterthought (I know its a different animal again) but it may be something to check for if you and going the OEM tire carrier way...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2388

Hopefully I'm confusing things/making an a$$ out of myself...

Bernard

I would like to ammend my previous post about the longer studs on the tire carrier. It seems that a previous owner had broken the welds on the original bolts(not studs) and put in longer ones, and used lug nuts with the top cut off, so this is not stock, but still easy. Also, the plate bolted to the carrier arm which the tire mounts on can be offset in the same manner, perhaps even drilling other holes to mount lower. Again, I dont know if this applies directly to the R50 (it very well might) but my earlier post was not accurate so I wanted to clarify. Good luck.

Bernard