Oil in the intake?

Dabel

So for some reason I am now sucking oil into the intake on my '90 VG30E. Upon closer inspection it appears to be coming from the breathers on the valve covers. It's not enough to foul it out but it is wreaking hell on my MAF sensor (gotta clean it every 10 mins if I want a smooth idle), making it less than happy to take throttle (though it revs fine), and making a nice little puddle that drips down onto my air filter. Needless to say it's causing a few problems. Take it apart and clean it and everything's fine, but after a few minute of running...

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

You might want to check your PCV valve to see if its stuck open. Also, there is a spark arrestor in the pcv tubes across the front of the engine that can clog or deteriorate. Easy checks really. Just pull the hoses off and check in the tube with a flashlight. The PCV will need to be removed and give it a shake and good visual inspection. There is a possibility of something worse going on, but go with the easy, most common stuff first.

Well, its a possibility. I would believe that he would also have several other issues, like low on power and smoking badly. I would recommend to check the oil level for the heck of it. Im still thinking a PCV issue.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

over filling could definitely cause this.

I would unhook the valve cover breather, and run the engine at idle to see if anything comes out (although its more likely that its coming out at higher RPMs)

You could always disconnect that breather.... run a hose from the valve cover down to the ground, let it breathe out under your engine, thats better anyways, the only reason for the valve cover breather is emissions and its actually bad for your engine to be sucking up oil vapors, its sticks up the throttle body and gunks up maf sensors

Thanks everyone. Oil level is dead nuts, just a touch on the low side actually. Gonna try going to a lower weight oil as I've developed a bit of a valve tap as well and I think they may be distantly related... My last change due to availability (everyone here has old communist era motors for the most part) I bought 15w40 and I think maybe the heavier oil might be splashing around a bit and not filling the lifters properly. Got some 5w30 (had to go to the actual parts store and pay a bundle) gonna slap in there and see what happens. We'll see... If not I guess I'll try that stellar down-tube idea, at least until my next emissions inspection anyway.

Thanks again.

Edited by Dabel

Not only do we have emissions, you are required to have your vehicle inspected for safety every 2 years. It's a HUGE pain in the ass as they go over literally everything and any modifications you may have made, they'll even require you to repair surface rust before it begins to penetrate. Then you get a new sticker and you're good for a couple more years.

So... Popped the new oil in with a fresh filter. Doesn't seem to have made a difference, and still got that irregular tap going on and worse at higher revs. Installed a downtube on the vent hose which definitely solves the oil in the intake problem, but now all that crap is venting out the bottom of the truck.... None too pretty as it's a smokey white (wonder if that's normal, anyone? I know it's venting blowby and such but smoke?).

Were only that life were easy....