O.K...how do access the AC condensor/expansion valve on an 87

azscott

I took the glove box out and removed the metal panel. Behind that ios the plastic box the encloses the condensor and expansion valve. . I removed the metal clips around the halfs of the nox and then loosened the two bolts under neath that screw to the firewall....but dangit I cannot get that encloser to come off.

How does that stupid plastic cover come off. Do have to remove the blower to the right or is there other fasteners I am overlooking. I tried to look in the early 90's manuals online but it does not show much.

Anyone have a clue.

Scott

There's another bolt (or two maybe) at the top of the housing. You also have to go under the hood and unscrew the high side and low side refrigerant lines at the firewall. I'm assuming you don't have any refrigerant in the system. Otherwise it will need to be recovered. There is a small plate that bolts to the firewall that secures the two refrigerant lines. Remove the plate and the rubber bushing. Once you've done that and gotten the top bolt out of the housing, the whole evaporator/expansion valve housing can be wiggled out from between the ductwork.

There's another bolt (or two maybe) at the top of the housing. You also have to go under the hood and unscrew the high side and low side refrigerant lines at the firewall. I'm assuming you don't have any refrigerant in the system. Otherwise it will need to be recovered. There is a small plate that bolts to the firewall that secures the two refrigerant lines. Remove the plate and the rubber bushing. Once you've done that and gotten the top bolt out of the housing, the whole evaporator/expansion valve housing can be wiggled out from between the ductwork.

Thanks...that helps...was pretty sure there had to be another bolt somewhere up top.

Scott