4wdhi on wet road wd21

RowdoggNZ

Soooooo 4wdHi on the dry road, feels weird and chunky and causes gearbox 'wind up' yes?

How about wet roads? I didn't use teh search feature because it took long enough to load this page... capped :(

I would not reccoment using 4-HI on wet roads unless the roads have lots (as in basically flooded) of standing water on them and travel under 35mph when doing so.

4-HI is for low traction conditons like gravel, dirt, snow, ice, mud etc. Yes wet roads have decreased traction over dry roads but its still enough traction to put un-nessescary additonal wear on your tires. Your front diff is also not lsd so locking them into our driveline (both auto and manual locks) creates additonal wear arrond turns.

from a mechanical standpoint I belive the reason 4wd creates additonal wear is because I think the t-case puts more power to the front wheels so that your vehcle can pull you outta tight spots with the front rather than have the back wheels push you in deeper. low traction surfaces give enough to not put too much wear on anything but on paved roads this would create the effect of your front weels pulling the back wheels faster than they want to spin.

Oh....so close....yet so far........ MY1PATH

You're right in your first paragraph, though, LSD or not in the front end, you'll still have the same problem.

The 2nd paragraph is wrong. Our t-case splits power 50/50. The only problem with dry roads in 4hi is turning. You can drive for months, straight, in 4hi on dry pavement and never have an issue. One turn, and you start binding the drivetrain up.

The reason is this.....

As you turn, the outside wheels have to turn far faster than the inside wheels. And the fronts turn at a slightly different speed than the rears, as they're the ones doing the turning. That speed differential between front and back is what causes the driveline to bind up, and potentially cause issues.

Long story short, no. As MY1PATH mentioned, you still have too much grip on a wet road, which will still cause the binding issues.