Starting troubles

martin_nv

Hi Guys, hopefully this isn't too newbie-ish :)

I parked my '92 Pathfinder at the ferry terminal early Saturday morning, then when I came back late Sunday night, it wouldn't turn over. I turned the key and it made like 2 or 3 lame cranks. Ok, dead battery I thought. Fortunately, the people next to me getting into their car just got off the ferry as well and I asked them for a jump. He had his car running and then when I tried to start mine it still was barely cranking like it was a weak battery still. Fortunately it had just enough umph to get it turned over and I was able to make it home :). This morning, after last night's 45 minute drive home from the ferry, it started fine again.

I thought for sure that it would be the battery, but if it was that, then it would have started up no problem with the jumper cables, no? Could it be the starter? Over the last couple of months I have noticed it not turning over as quickly as it used to and up til now I was sure it was the battery, since it is >5 years old.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin

Like they said...

Are the posts corroded? Is your ground cable making good contact? At both ends? How's the positive connection at the starter. Odds are one of the first two posts is the issue, but this is comething you can check in your driveway.

B

If you have a multimeter, take it out and test the voltage at the posts of the battery. It should be very close to 12. If it is in the low 11's or high 10's then it isn't or isn't able to be charged. Get the engine cranked and running. At idle the voltage at the posts should be at or above 14v. If it isn't, then the alternator isn't charging enough.

Also, you can shut off the engine, and immediately check the voltage of the battery. Write that voltage and the time you took it down. Leave it sit for the night and check it again in the morning. If it isn't the same, then something is draining the battery. It could be that something is hooked up to the wrong side of the power bus i.e. accessory vs ignition. Or it is probably just bad.

One of my buddies had bought a car where the previous owner halfass installed the stereo, and put everything direct to the battery. It would never really turn off unless he powered the head unit down. There are hundreds of other things like that which could cause the battery to drain. You never really know what a previous owner has done electrically to your rig.

Hope some of this helps.

indigent.

Thanks for the replies guys, I kind of gambled and bought a new battery, since the one I had was 5+ years old. Engine start-up is noticably snappier now.