Rear Brake Issues

hello folks, new to the board..been lurking around for a year or so before deciding to create an account..anyway...heres my issue

I have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4wd Auto with 197,000 miles

recently one of my rear disc brakes started scrubbing, ..so i went and changed the pads on the side that was bad, well....only one pad came out, and the other side..the pad was completly gone and the brake piston was touching the rotor...so I replaced it with some fresh pads..went to the other side...took one turn of the bolt that holds it in and it shears off....leaving it stuck inside..

frustrated..I put the side back together and drove the truck...the brakes seem to be working pretty well..but that side that I replaced after stopping, the whole rotor area is much warmer than the other side...I don't know if its because the pads are fresh or the caliper may be sticking?????

any suggestions???...my ABS light has been on for the past 3 months or so...could this mean anything????

thanks..

you said PADS, so am i to assume your rig is all wheel disk? sounds like a caliper is not adjusted right and is allowing constant (all be it slight) rubbing causing the added heat...... have you tried adjusting the caliper (loosen it off) to see what happend? inspected it after driving at night to see if it's glowing? had the disk/drunm inspected for warpage? :beer:

Edited by Slick

Sounds like a caliper sticking to me. Double check the slides and be sure they are lubed well. If thats ok, the caliper piston may be sticking and its time for a rebuild or replacement. One side getting hotter than the other tells me the caliper isnt letting go, and thats why you have the oddball wear.

Did you bleed the brakes also? If you have air in the lines, the calipers won't retract properly, they will rub and generate more heat, maybe enough to warp the rotors. The slide pins may be dirty/corroded/unlubed/etc which will keep the calipers from spreading also sometimes.

As for the bolt, you will need to drill it out. Let me look up some links for you... BRB

You wore ALL the way through a brake pad and it's backing? and the piston is touching the rotor? And it didn't fall out? You never noticed any noise or smell? :blink:

B

Read this...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2076

WTF??? I know I wrote a detailed process for removing broken bolts, chasing threads and tapping holes. Where did it go??

Edited by Precise1

Did you bleed the brakes also? If you have air in the lines, the calipers won't retract properly, they will rub and generate more heat, maybe enough to warp the rotors. The slide pins may be dirty/corroded/unlubed/etc which will keep the calipers from spreading also sometimes.

As for the bolt, you will need to drill it out. Let me look up some links for you... BRB

You wore ALL the way through a brake pad and it's backing? and the piston is toucking the rotor? And it didn't fall out? You never noticed any noise or smell? :blink:

B

drilling all the way out...oh noes...yeah..the noise was the dead giveaway...I stopped driving it when the noise started happening...when i tore it all apart..the brake pad was complelty gone.....like..wasnt there...it made it started grinding a little...then after a few miles...I stopped at a light as i was slowing down I heard a loud thump from the rear end and the brake pedal went to the floor...I was about a mile from my home so I drove it and eventually the brake went back to normal feel...havent drove it since...

Im thinking the caliper is stuck myself...which is possibly more than what I can do as far as repairs since I live in a condo...and got flak for just taking the rear wheels off to do the pads......

the rotor was not glowing but it is still daylight outside

Err, thats not the one I wrote 2-3 years ago and I covered cut taps, roll taps, etc for any bolts not specifically exhaust.

Pardon me while I get rather annoyed!!!

B

This may help more. Thank Red.

Good luck and holler if you need help.

B

Im thinking the caliper is stuck myself...which is possibly more than what I can do as far as repairs since I live in a condo...and got flak for just taking the rear wheels off to do the pads......

On second thought it may not help at all if you have no place to do the work. I lived at an appartment complex like that. I was 'warned' against car work when I was changing a flat tire. When I pointed out to the azzhat that if I didn't change the tire, they'd have an abandoned vehicle instead. Not to mention WTF was the difference if I did it or a tow truck driver so shaddap and leave. I digress.