My Snorkel

kmgar99

Finally finished...I'll do a write up later...it's like 120 degrees in my garage right now, so it's time for a beer and a dip in the pool

307568_22_full.jpg

Edited by kmgar99

All made from 2" ABS. Had to taper the pipe to fit into the bottom of the air box. Used a combination of fittings found at your local home store. The hardest part was getting all the fittings together so they came out of the air box and headed the right direction at the correct angle. Bent the horizontal pipe by heating it with a torch...Don't let the flame touch the pipe or it will burn through in a second, just get it hot, stretch and bend, then cool it quickly with water spray while holding the pipe in at the angle you want. Secured it with some 2" pvc conduit hangers (Custom bent as you can see). Figuring out where to cut the fender was a PIA.....I did a lot of measuring, hang fender, transfer measurements, pull fender re-measure, hang fender re-check measurements, etc...I still wasn't sure about the location of the cut so i cut a piece of pipe with the angle of the fender and fit it to the outside of the fender where i had drawn my measurments. I also hung a plumb bob from the open garage door and had it hang dead center of the rider pipe. Then i put the fender back on and let the plumb bob touch the fender so i could get my center mark. Went for it with my jigsaw and fine tooth metal blade (I taped the area around where i would be cutting to reduce the scratches from the jigsaw base) Kind of hard to explain...(Too many beers already) Here are some shots

307568_24_full.jpg

307568_22_full.jpg

307568_17_full.jpg

307568_14_full.jpg

307568_20_full.jpg

307568_23_full.jpg

Edited by kmgar99

Thanks, i'm not in love with the cap....going to try and make something similar to yours TrailChaser....pretty sure we have a few blocks of aluminum at work....i haven't worked on a mill or lathe in years....we'll see how it goes.

OUTFRIGGINSTANDING!! Looks great. Nice ideas. Have you considered bending a piece to follow the Apillar and then buying a tophat from ARB or TJM or it? Only asking because it would seem an inevitable next project for me. I'm already lightly treading for ideas. Thanks for sharing yours.

Pete

OUTFRIGGINSTANDING!! Looks great. Nice ideas. Have you considered bending a piece to follow the Apillar and then buying a tophat from ARB or TJM or it? Only asking because it would seem an inevitable next project for me. I'm already lightly treading for ideas. Thanks for sharing yours.

Pete

Thanks! Funny you ask....i am trying to figure out how to run it up the A pilar and connect it to a channel drain laying horizontally in front of my roof rack....but they want $45- 50 for the channel drain and it's not small.

7c914302-381c-4bbf-a3a4-322259fe4bbb_400.jpg

I saw that, I love the pipe he used....but no matter what you use, if you drive in the rain (Which i rarely do here in SoCal) they'll all let water in. I have a good u-trap just before it goes into the air box, and since i drove the Pathy as my primary for years with only the hole in the airbox facing into my wheel well and all inner wheel well plastic pieces removed without a problem, i figured i'll be ok. That channel drain thing would be kick A@# in the desert, which is where i take the Pathy 99% of the time anyway.

the desert, which is where i take the Pathy 99% of the time anyway.

So, I just have to ask. If the desert is 99% of your wheeling, why do you need a snorkel??

B

So, I just have to ask. If the desert is 99% of your wheeling, why do you need a snorkel??

B

Probably the same reason I want one. It looks BadArse. Plus you don't have to wade thru a hole to see if its to deep. Creep in slowly, if it doesn't come over the hood it's not to deep!

I've been stuck in the mud twice now and had to lower my head in embarresment (sp?) while be pulled out by a Heap. I modified the airbox so many times in years past, i couldn't seal it up without a snorkel.....As Far as the desert, my intake was in the fender just in front of the drivers wheel. I would have to change air filters once a day in the desert due to all the dust and silt being stirred up by the tire and being sucked in. Getting the intake off the ground and out of the direct path of dust should help a lot. Besides.....the wife was away for the weekend and i was bored!

The men will play while the wife is away. :friday:

I know guys, I'm just had the point out the incongruence of the statement. I like what you did, I'm just poking at you.

I'm suprised you didn't mention the whole vado/flash flood thing out in the desert. You could get cut off on a nice day in the right circumstances!! (It should work on the wives too...)

Yeah, I tooled around Baja a bit so I have an idea... :beer:

B

I figured you were giving me crap.....but a lot of people don't understand the desert. Haven't got caught in a flash flood yet.....Thank God! Definitely like to see one run through San Felipe wash in Ocotillo though....i heard it's amazing how fast it goes through and disappears.

I actually got flashflooded bad enough I had to pull over on my motorcycle in Death Valley in June by a single thunderstorm that I played tag with all the way to Vegas...

Hurricane in Baja, etc. The desert can be pretty wierd at times!

B

Hurricane in Baja, etc. The desert can be pretty wierd at times!

True statement...and i've only been living in it for a year...The craziest thing so far was snow or a week straight of rain...I thought everyone down there was going to go crazy...

Edited by unccpathfinder