Another Bumper I built last weekend

PDCCD

so i've been having so much fun with my R50 rear bumper build, I thought i'd help my buddy out with one for his YJ. What do you guys think. I'm pretty proud of it, some errors, but i'm getting closer. He's a body guy (collision repair) and did an awesome job finishing and painting it too.

I wish there was a way for me to make it profitable. I love making stuff that's useful and mine for people. Ten years of welding bridges, buildings, MRI's, Submarines, and Cutters. I'm finally getting into something creative, not fixing somebody else's designed old @!*%ty stuff. :bounce:

img1352zf0.th.jpg

img1351zh0.th.jpg

img1348wx2.th.jpg

Edited by PDCCD

very very nice. I just decided today that I needed to build myself a rear bumper. Have any plans/dimensions you could share?

Try to PM Arcano for his google sketchup file. that was moderately helpful for me, but i didn't really use any of his dimensions. I mostly used pictures oh his and others rear bumpers and bracketing, to include Pezzy and Xplor4x's. They're all available here with a thorough search. Then for me it was trial and error adding details and solving problems as i came across them. It's really a very complicated build for a rear bumper I found. I made it harder with some things i decided to do, but there's allot going on back there to consider. I'm willing to offer more specific answers when you start getting into it, but there's just too many details to type out. I've got lots of fab pics too, just pm me your email and i'll send them if you like.

Pete

Very nice... :clap:

I'm sure you could turn it into a decent side job. As a machinist I know that the time that it takes to design, fixture and manufacture a 1 off is 75% of the effort to make 10... It's the same story as the black panther skid plates. Seriously consider it...

B

Excellent!

been doing a bit of welding lately myself (nothing fun (yet))

Miller Welding Projects

Pulling alot of good help (and ideas) from here

:crossedwires:

Thank you. I love the miller BB. Very helpful guys on there too.

Very nice... :clap:

I'm sure you could turn it into a decent side job. As a machinist I know that the time that it takes to design, fixture and manufacture a 1 off is 75% of the effort to make 10... It's the same story as the black panther skid plates. Seriously consider it...

B

I hear what your saying, the initial planning on this one and mine has been intensive, but even if i could afford the tooling (like blackpanther) and pre-staged parts, i'm not sure i could get someone to appreciate the work that goes into it and pay for it. I take allot of pride in my work quality and it's amazing how much time all the little details i add, that really make them special, take to execute. I could pop out cookie cutter ones like i see on ebay all day long, but there's no art, no effort. Just guys making a buck. Nothing against them, but i'm making a buck at work, i'd want to give people a product they could brag about, beat the hell out of, and then sell it for someone elses ride when it outlives they're vehicle LOL. I tell my buddy that bumper will see at least 3 jeeps in it's life. SOunds kinda :gay:, but that thing will out last me. Some one will buy it for $50 15 years from now, and never know who made it, but i'll still be mine. That's the kinda work i like to do.

wow! that looks real nice! lucky friend! :clap:

Thanks Slick! Yeah, he's a good guy, and i was happy to do it for him. You should see how proud of it he is. His eyes were as big a saucers when he saw it done LOL. He's already gotten allot of people asking him about it, and he loves the attention. B)

I can't wait to finish my R50 bumper. You guys are gonna love it i hope.

Pete