working on tha pathy this weekend

json3904

well I'm finally going to be pulling the motor this weekend to figure out what exactly i did in that god forsaken mud hole.. LOLi will hopefully taking alot of pics but i cant guarantee anything....

i hope that when we pull in and flip it over i find a spun bearing and nothing more... LOL if anything else is messed up i will be looking to get a new motor.. i found a few for 400-500 ... and i know at least one of them still runs...

for those of you who haven't seen the pics of the pit here you go.. LOL

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

here is trailchaser trying to pull me out.. LOL but it didn't work....

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

i will keep yall in the loop as to how it goes.. LOL

so what is it doing exactly?...

I kindda still kick myself in the ass for not doing what I was going to do...i changed plugs and got trash in #1 which welded to the top of the piston and started knocking...i was convinced it was a bearing so I pulled it and what I think I should have done was ground off that piece of metal and slapped the head back on and I think my knocking would have went away but instead I pulled the engine...so it may be worth it to investigate to the max B4 pulling unless you just want to pull it

well when i was stuck it started knocking so we shut off the motor... now when you start it i has a rough idle and when you give it some gas it starts knocking real bad... everyone i have talked to said it sounds like a spun bearing so i hope that's all it is.. i want to get it ready for July 4th weekend cause we have another trip scheduled in alto, TX....

describes exactly how mine sounded when I spun one. The mistake I made when I tried to fix it was that I didn't replace the bearing caps when I replaced the bearings. There was a little too much play in the one that spun and it hammered itself flat again. The crank shaft didn't have a mark on it. also, the oil feed hole in the connecting rod was clogged with shavings. If you are gonna repair, make sure to cleanout all the oil holes and crap. take your time.

its not really mud its some mud and alot of sand.... and yes it is going to get done the right way... LOL i cant afford to keep tearing into this motor.. LOL

you did check the oil to make sure you didnt split the pan and it was just the lifters knocking like hell correct?

just throwing it out there...did you use a scope to see if you could pinpoint where the noise was coming from?

mo scope and yes i drained the oil to make sure it didn't have any water in it... i also have the front seal that is leaking so i also have to change that out when i pull the motor i am going to start working on it around 9am and when i get home i will post up and let yall know what i find... if i can i will have pics but I'm not going to guarantee anything..... LOL

cool...yea man i understand completely on a) forgetting to take pictures in the middle of it (i usually start off with lots of pix then 4 hours later i'm like @!*% didn't take any pix...) and B) after a long days work on the truck pissing iwth the computer drops off the priority list...

good luck and mind that front axle if you have to drop it :aok: the stitches leave scars if it falls on you...

its going to be me and 2 friends pulling the motor... and after we work on the motor we are going to start on fabing my front and rear bumpers along with some sliders and skids.. LOL i cant wait....

sweet...that sounds like lots of fun...i miss working on my truck(s)...the 87 is so far neglected now I need to just rip it apart all over again and go through it to make sure everything is right...I'm hoping to get the 95 here within 2 months buy a welder and build a homebrew tube bender and start making some gear for the trucks and i'd really like to get a mill/lathe combo (something like a smithy) or if i just got a mill i'd go for a bridgeport

well after 9hrs of working we finally go the motor out.... it only took about 2hrs to unhook everything and the rest was trying to get the motor out... the problem is we couldn't get the oil pan to clear the diff so we ended up taking the pan off and pulling till it cleared.. now what is the right steps to pull and replace the motor so i know when i put it back in??? thanks for all the help....

A guy in our club spent some time in a mudhole with his Pathy. After we recovered him, he had low idle and when he stepped on the gas, it was a bad, bad knocking-clanging sound.

Turns out after thinking it was a bearing, the mud had gotten in behind the lower timing belt cover and filled up the cavity. It caused the timing belt to jump one tooth. Maybe check behind your t-belt covers. You never know.

A guy in our club spent some time in a mudhole with his Pathy. After we recovered him, he had low idle and when he stepped on the gas, it was a bad, bad knocking-clanging sound.

Turns out after thinking it was a bearing, the mud had gotten in behind the lower timing belt cover and filled up the cavity. It caused the timing belt to jump one tooth. Maybe check behind your t-belt covers. You never know.

thanks for the info... i have already pulled the top cover of the timing belt and it was pretty nast in there.... this weekend i am going back over there to begin the process of elimination and that will be the first thing i look into... i also have to change the front main seal.....

i have some lifter problems for sure, and it looks like the motor went 215k without a rebuild based on all the sludge in the oil pan.... so i think i am going to need to do a light rebuild on her... but i wont be able to get her ready by the next trip we have planed so i think i am going to get another motor from a friend in houston and slowly rebuild my motor.... here is a list of everything i need so far....

complete top end gasket kit $171.99

oil pan gasket $10.99

timing belt $13.99

lifters $13.99 a peice and i think im going to replace them all

crankshaft seal $47.99

spark plug wires $55.99

now for the master rebuild kit that comes with

Premium ring set

Kit includes: Rod bearings, main bearings, full gasket set, camshaft1, camshaft2, lifters, timing belt, camshaft timing gear, oil pump, freeze plug kit.

will run me around $900 so i really dont know what im going to do yet.... here are some pics of the motor now....

0615081911.jpg

0615081912.jpg

0615081912b.jpg

i will keep yall updated on the progress of the pathy