Hello from NJ (07 Pathfinder SE)

medici

Hi from NJ. I've had a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE for almost exactly a year. It's my daily driver (ouch, the gas prices!) and I go off-roading around NJ and PA about once every few weeks -- nothing extreme, mostly dirt/mud/sand roads, some shallow water crossing, and the occasional sand pit. I also tow a trailer for camping -- about 4,200 lbs fully loaded -- so with my two kids, the trailer and our gear, we give the 6,000 lb max payload a run for its money. So far, no complaints on the towing end, other than gas mileage (about 12), but I'm a little disappointed with the off-road capabilities of the R51.

I'm leasing right now and, while I've got 2+ years left, I'm at the point where I need to decide whether I'm going to buy-out at the end of the lease or turn it back in. I've made a few mods - Aries Bull Bar, Sportsrack Safari Rack, Air-Lift rear, and lights, but everything I've added is easily removed and re-used later. But I really need to get some skid plates to protect the drive train and :blink: plastic :blink: fuel tank, and I am considering adding an OME lift kit, new wheels/tires and a Gibson tuned exhaust, and maybe a front winch bumper and winch. But additional mods probably won't happen if I decide to not buy-out my lease.

In a few weeks I'm taking the Pathfinder, camper and kids cross-country to South Dakota (Badlands/Black Hills), Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole, Moab and Estes Park/Ft. Collins, Colorado. I do expect to spend at least one day at each location off-roading (probably 2 or 3 days around Moab and in Colorado). I'm leaving on June 27th and figure it will take 3-4 days to get to Badlands. Then I spend 3-4 days at each stop (with a few 1-day stops in between). If you live in any of these areas and want to join-up for some off-roading, (easy to moderate trails), I'd appreciate the company.

Anyway, here's some photo's of my rig:

144-1Medium.jpg

154-2Medium.jpg

DSCF0066-1Medium.jpg

DSCF0068-4Medium.jpg

PF_NJPineBarrens_3Medium.jpg

Edited by medici

nice rig! suprised you haven't smashed up your steps yet..........

i was born in NJ..... east coast has some good wheelin

if you have spent that much money on your rig, and have allt he other plans for it, may as well buy it outright when your lease is up and mod the snot outta it :D

nice rig! suprised you haven't smashed up your steps yet..........

i was born in NJ..... east coast has some good wheelin

if you have spent that much money on your rig, and have allt he other plans for it, may as well buy it outright when your lease is up and mod the snot outta it :D

Well, the steps are still intact because I've been avoiding big rocks and logs. I'm afraid that without skid plates, bending/breaking something underneath is just too easy.

Like I said before, all the stuff I put on can come off in a couple of hours and be re-used or sold. In fact, I usually take the rack off when I'm not wheelin to save a bit on fuel. Front recovery hooks and skid plates are the next two items on my list. We'll see where we go from there.

Nice to see someone taking an R51 past the pavement. Welcome to NPORA!

IMHO, that's the only reason to buy an SUV. Otherwise, you're just driving an oversized station wagon. Thanks!

And thanks to you Kiwi's, too. The company I work for has an office in Auckland (and a smaller one in Wellington). If I ever have to head out that way, I'll drop you a note and maybe we can get together.