is it possible to change my LSD diff so i can use the lock right locker?

Coucoui6

okay.... i know the lock right is for open diff but can i change my LSD so i can use the lock right or am i suck using the complete detroit locker assembly? 4x4parts.com sell the lock right for 279.00 and the detroit assembly for 595.00?

maybe, i should just stick with the LSD and stay out of the big boys sand box.

This line of questioning, shows that i've never worked on a diff. before. but i am very handy and fast learner with cars. and i can read a manual!

Edited by Coucoui6

what?

you'll have to change your current LSD to an open diff. you answered your own Q. unfortunately this involves whole axle exchange.

Correction - you'll have to change the carrier by removing the 3rd member and re and re'ing the gears - not the whole axle.

JP

okay.... i know the lock right is for open diff but can i change my LSD so i can use the lock right or am i suck using the complete detroit locker assembly? 4x4parts.com sell the lock right for 279.00 and the detroit assembly for 595.00?

maybe, i should just stick with the LSD and stay out of the big boys sand box.

This line of questioning, shows that i've never worked on a diff. before. but i am very handy and fast learner with cars. and i can read a manual!

I just did this exact swap about two weeks ago. I went to a junkyard and got an open diff (actually the whole axle, it was cheaper that way) out of an 88 model. I took the open diff carrier out of the 88 axle and put it in my 94 third member with out a problem. I even changed to 5.14 gears also for my 33" MTR's. It was my first time with a diff swap also. but like you said, you can read a manual. You will need a dial indicator to set the gear back lash. And also a bearing puller to swap the bearings on thecarrier. There is no need to spend the extra money on a detroit unless you are planning on running bigger than 35" tires. I could not beleive the difference the locker made. I was able to go up things that i used to have to have 4x4. Happy hunting.