93 SE Front end grinds and moans

Ravz

Ok, so my front end makes all sorts of funky grinding/moaning sounds when I turn, mostly at very low speeds (IE turning into parking spots)

I've checked alot of the suspension out, it looks fine. I'm thinking maybe the Idler Arm?? it looks like it has alot of play in it.. I dunno..

I'm getting a little worried about the sounds now, they're getting louder as time goes by, and it's a tough thing to diagnose in your driveway. Also the front end is beginning to vibrate a lot at higher speeds now, and it's not my tires, they're balanced. I'm sure someone out there must have had this sort of problem?? Ideas please??

Search around for it and read the Common Problems thread. =P This might not be the problem but it might help you out.

Front End Clunking/Squealing Noise When Turned To Lock

Steering stops keep the front wheels from being turned past a certain point. The steering stops are built with plastic caps. How long would anyone expect those to last? Anyway, they fall off or wear out, and you have metal-to-metal contact between moving parts. The result is when going over bumps, with the steering turned to lock, such as when turning across curbs, you get a nasty sounding and feeling squealing/clunking. The solution is to grease the stops and contact areas, or to replace the plastic caps. There are four of them, two in front of your front wheels and two behind your front wheels. They are easy to find and grease without raising the vehicle.

Another source of front end squeals or noises are the front differential crossmember bolts. Over time, the bolts can loosen, allowing the crossmember to shift slightly every now and then, causing noise from the front end...sometimes alarmingly nasty sounding. The fix is to re-torque the crossmember bolts. There are four bolts to re-torque, two on each side of the front crossmember. They are easily accessible from the front of the vehicle without jacking it up. I don't have the exact torque figures on hand, but simply cranking the bolts tight with a 1/2" drive ratchet worked for me.

There's also a little more information here: http://www.nissan4wheelers.com/howtos/arti...on_popping.html

I've tighten the crossmember bolts before, it shut up it up for a while, I'll check them out again.

Thanks guys, you rule :cool2: