US Patent describing technology in Rancho RSX shocks/struts

PathA4

Got my Rancho RSX shocks yesterday and as I pulled them out of the box, I noticed US Patent 5992585 stamped on the shock body. Being a patent attorney, I pulled the patent to see what it looked like. Thought I'd share it with you. I believe this technology is incorporated on the Monroe Reflex shocks/struts as well.

Abstract

A shock absorber has a base valve assembly which includes a compression valve assembly and an acceleration valve assembly. The compression valve assembly controls a fluid path through the base assembly to provide a firm damping characteristic for the shock absorber during low acceleration movement. The acceleration valve assembly controls a second fluid path through the base assembly to provide a soft damping characteristic for the shock when the shock absorber experiences acceleration beyond a specified amount.

US Patent Number 5992585

Edited by PathA4

Yeah, I think the cheapest patent application I ever prepared for an individual client was still more than $5000.

One thing I just learned reading the shock absorber patent is that it will only work if the shock is oriented correctly. I don't remember seeing any Up/Down markings on the shock body and it didn't come with any install instructions.

So when did you leave Charlotte?

Edited by PathA4

I've been out of charlotte for a year come June 18th with the exception of some visits...I miss it completely..especially this week with speed street and all of that jazz downtown and the races being in town...I hope to get back to the area in the next 3 or so years...Good ole NC boy out here in the "Great" state of CA...it's been a good experience so far though...

My old rancho's had an orientation stamped somewhere on the body right where they welded the caps on but I got those probably 5 years ago if not longer...

Thanks for that link to google patents...I never knew it existed and it looks really useful..I spent an hr this mornign grabbing things off the desk and searching the patents...I'm going to pull up our companies most recent patent sometime later if I get the time

I guess I was too busy being impressed by the patent marking that I didn't notice the orientation marking right below it.

post-2315-1210822299_thumb.jpg

My old rancho's had an orientation stamped somewhere on the body right where they welded the caps on but I got those probably 5 years ago if not longer...