proper idle speed....

Guest duke

Guest duke

Is the idle speed measured when the car is in "Park" or when it's put in "Drive" but standing still? What should the idle speeds be for both of those states?

Thanks!

Guest duke

Oh come on.... I know it's a boring question, but please! :help:

This is what I've found after warming up the truck:

A/C Off: Neutral: ~750

Drive: ~675

AC/ On: Neutral: ~950

Drive: ~750

Do these numbers look within range? The A/C On Neutral setting seems high, and that's the one I am concerned with the most.

Thank you!

- duke

I'm not sure what they are supposed to be exactly, but I wouldn't worry about your speeds if I were you, anything under 1000 at idle w/ or w/out AC doesn't seem to be a cause for concern. I think mine also idles a bit high with AC on, butI haven't really paid attention. Anyways, my car idles at about 1300 when its cold in the mornings :D

My questions came up after performing the throttle body cleaning with carb cleaner and without removing the throttle body first. I read on the AC Pathfinder newsgroup that resetting the ECU helped some people in restoring the proper idle speed *after* doing the cleaning.

I went for the straight-dumb approach of disconnecting the battery, and the car definitely idles lower now. I havent taken down the numbers all around, but idling near or above 1000 is a thing of the past.

The anal part of me is now happy and will seak to fix/improve other aspects of this fine automobile.