RPM redline on the 3.0

O rly?

I find that this thing is best on gas when you let it shift at 3200, I've been trying to hyper mile by being really easy on it (letting it shift at 2200-2500) but the mileage hasn't changed as far as i've seen.

So back on topic, what is the safe rpm limit that you guys run at on daily driving? You don't run it to 5500 daily do you?

I normally keep it between 3-4k, but sometimes, when your stuck between 2 rocks a tree and a hard place, you just gotta giver.. in this vid i was revving up to around 4-5k in some places.

th_MOV066_NEW.jpg

Edited by 87pathy

I've refrained from getting deeply involved in this, but you just asked for it.

Hm. "Imaginary" selectable tach?

Let's see.

You say you have a "Monster Tach". That would be the AutoMeter-made one, right?

Here's the instructions for it: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1076B.pdf

And, oh, look, here on page 1. A section labelled "CALIBRATION" with instructions on how to wire it up so it reads accurately for different engine cylinder counts. So, yes, it's selectable for the number of cylinders.

Congratulations. **********************************************

No need to be rude , you are the first person who brought any usable info as to what may be wrong other than the guy who called it a pos , so we wont count him. Thats all i wanted was what this guy posted . But in fact it is not just frikkin selectable. That makes it sound like theres a switch . I looped the orange wire back together and now i have a normal blow up at 6450 pathy like everyone else here.

No need to be rude , you are the first person who brought any usable info as to what may be wrong other than the guy who called it a pos , so we wont count him. Thats all i wanted was what this guy posted . But in fact it is not just frikkin selectable. That makes it sound like theres a switch . I looped the orange wire back together and now i have a normal blow up at 6450 pathy like everyone else here.

It *is* selectable. It just uses jumper wires instead of a switch because the Autogage line is the cheap one for Autometer.

Autometer's top line gauges sometimes have a switch on the back; Sun, VDO, and Stewart Warner almost all have switches on the back or inside the back housing, too.

Check out this manual for the top line Cobalt Digital tach by AutoMeter: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1222.pdf

You configure it via buttons, even!

Oh, and when you post stuff like the below, running down someone else's truck? Don't expect a real friendly welcome, no matter what the provocation. I'm surprised more people weren't ruder.

So that means your pos 6450 rpm pathy sucks and mine has a cam and some mods i didn't know about. {snip} Oh and fyi the monster tachs (and all others other than the old cable drives)run on a signal from the coil. It makes not a ******* of difference if it is a 4-6- or 8 .

As you have just discovered, some of us *may* know a thing or two about hardware that you don't. I'm not the most knowledgable person on WD21s in here, but I'm okay on PF-specific stuff and good to excellent on general automotive (I build monster Jaguars for *fun*).

Unfortunately, I think you just insulted some of those people who are much, much better than I am.

Edited by GhostPath

Unfortunately, I think you just insulted some of those people who are much, much better than I am.

Fair call :beer:

I've only hit the limiter once... I'd just pulled out to pass a slow car, right in the sway of changing lanes.....BRICK WALL :ohno01:

Not fun, without swaybars :D

Now I'm just going to go stand over there------->

:D

O rly?

I find that this thing is best on gas when you let it shift at 3200, I've been trying to hyper mile by being really easy on it (letting it shift at 2200-2500) but the mileage hasn't changed as far as i've seen.

So back on topic, what is the safe rpm limit that you guys run at on daily driving? You don't run it to 5500 daily do you?

On the trail and stuff i usually bounce the engine off the rev limiter to clear out the tires when im in the sticky stuff. The vg30 can handle 6500 rpm's no problem. I was hearing that the harmonics of the engine don't get destructive until a lil over 7200 rpm's or something. In the street i usually shift from 3500-5k rpm's.

oh, just to ad a lil more of a tid bit of info, when i used to have my 200sx with the vg30, i put in heavier double valve springs and has that thing to about 7500 rpm's on the dyno (s12 200sx v6's had no rev limiters). didnt even cough a bit, that motor had at least 450k miles on it, not kidding... the odo broke at 380k miles and the owner had the car since it was new and never changed it.