Fuel saving tips

Vertigo

Like I said - most people already hate us here in the US - lets just make that hatred JUSTIFIED as the rest of the world destroys itself.

Big fskcing wall, big guns, and when we have the technology, electromagnetic shielding... *grins*

And yes, I AM joking... but sometimes I wish we really could.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with the "supply and demand" theory is that demand hasn't gone up as much as the price has in recent years.

Demand:

oil_consumption_by_country_1.jpg

Prices:

USGasPrices.jpg

lol, 88, you just proved my point.

if everyone looks at the two graphs, from 1990 up, i think we can all agree that fuel consumption across the globe has gone up, and the price in dollars/gallon (that's adjusted for inflation) has gone up at pretty much the same rate. the price you pay at the pump is just way higher. why? because of inflation (according to the graph)

i won't even mention politics because i'd like to keep this post short and sweet.

Edited by StatutoryApe

I'm with you Kittamaru!! If you cant get along with the rest of the world and live humanely......then screw you and your wacko religions.....we're going to build a big natural wall around you bozos and let you all kill each other since you seem to live for killing when the rest of the world does not. (and then...since it would be like a giant pool.......start adding water.... :)

I just dont see how super high prices is going to make more oil magically appear.....its just investors and those in control of the oil commodities using any excuse in the world to raise the prices.

I'm just glad I dont drive anything that is DIESEL!! ouch!

hmm I dont think airpressure has a major effect (i think mythbusters busted that one) but low air pressure can increase the contact patch and give a higher coef of friction but I dont think it would be significant...but I could be wrong...and I think the same goes for the roof rack and spoiler...they don't increase your frontal area all that much so I don't see removing them saving anything more than maybe .1mpg if that

A low tire on one side can cause your vehicle to pull to the side. It takes a load of force. try pushing a dead vehicle on level ground. Not too hard, eh? now lower the air pressure 15 PSI in the tires. The feat becomes nearly impossible. Yes, it'll suck up major HP and reduce mileage.

Not only is there more friction, but you're folding and reshaping rubber every bit you move. And the edge of the tire, the spot that hits the road, the part that's warping and folding over in low pressure situations, is on the outside diameter of the tire; which has the advantage of a LOAD of leverage upon your drivetrain!

Here's one to think about regarding tire pressure...... a bicycle...... remember riding as a kid on your bicycle and the tires would start to go flat or be low on air.....how much harder is was to pedal to keep moving, then you got either a new tire (or tube) or just pumped it back up....and WHOOSH! you're off and flyin' down the road again with practically no effort.

It's just obvious that it takes more effort and energy to move due to increased resistance with low air pressure. It's almost not even worth going into the rocket science of it.....

(what happened to my bike? oh it eventually was stolen.......)

• 4 years later...

i AGREE WITH JPAWELA YOU CAN LIGHTEN THE LOAD BY REMOVING JUNK OUT OF THE BACK THEY SAY LESS WEIGHT SAVES GAS OR LIKE ME I HAVE A SECOND CAR I DRIVE WHEN IN GAS SAVING MODE.Only drive pathfinder when you dont care how much fuel you are useing.It isn't built for gas economy.