? about installing 3" body lift

trtturbo

Installed my 3" body lift on my '89 yesterday. Everything went great except for one thing. I lubed the steering shaft like it said in the "how to" and it said it would slide out some. Well, it didnt and now I dont have any steering at all.

Feels like something pulled out in the column in side the cab. Anyone had this happen? If so, what is it?

I havent looked yet. Just getting everything else finished up.

nothing inside should fall apart as the splined shaft is inside the drivers side wheel well; Tough to lengthen it if you are a rust belter!-)

I beat the snot out of mine to get it to lengthen along with PB Blaster and a torch

Most of the time just tapping on it with a hammer will get it to move. That's most of the time. Otherwise, it's a bit of a pain to get the shaft to budge.

Since you read the how to, maybe you already did the hammer tap?

I did, but something else came loose. The steering wheel is not attatched anymore. You can spin it endlessly.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen. Everything else was no problem, but I'm thinking I broke something in the column.

Oh crap. You didn't remove the shaft when you did the lift? I bet something inside the column came apart.

When I did the BL on Rami's Pathy, I had to tack-weld a piece of pipe to the shaft and beat the everlovin' piss out of it to get it to move. Those things are a TIGHT FIT.

I've done 3, and never had to remove the shaft....just had to lube, loosen, and tap. It also helps to get a prybar in the wings that pinch over the splined shaft, and pry them open a touch.

I did, but something else came loose. The steering wheel is not attatched anymore. You can spin it endlessly.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen. Everything else was no problem, but I'm thinking I broke something in the column.

What else do you see when you look at your steering shaft from the engine compartment?

Look at the Rag Joint to make sure it's still attached.

rag joint looks fine. everything under the hood looks normal. If I grab it and try to turn it, its the same as before I did the lift. The steering wheel feels like it would if the shaft was'nt on it. I guess I'll get into it tomorrow.

I did lube it alot, but I guess it was too tight. Hope I didnt tear anything bad up.

nothing yet. I have been busy working and havent checked it out. Its still a ways from running, so it hasnt been a priority. I did pull all the emissions stuff though :) . I guess I'm almost afraid to see what happened. I plan on getting to it in the morning.