Attn: Northerners(and brake experts)

keelhaul

It sounded like a bomb going off. Make that 2 bombs. I think I woke the kids!

After crossing muddy water then pressure washing(thoroughly soaking my drums), I parked my Pathy for 2 hours with the e-brake on in sub zero temps.

I had to use lo-range to break the brakes free. I have had this happen before but not nearly as bad as today and I am pretty sure that noise was my drums sticking to my shoes.

I do think there is more to it than just me being stupid. Earlier today I had a locker installed and when I picked it up my E-brake did not work. They said they moved my axles and brakes out of the way as an assembly so it should not need adjustment. They then adjusted my brakes with first the handbrake adjustment and then the adjusters through the backing plates. Since then, the E-brake was sometimes really tight then looser other times. Then I filled my brakes with mud and water.

What is a good method for adjusting brakes? I drove 20 miles after I washed it, shouldn't the brakes be dry by then? Has anyone else experienced frozen brake on a passenger vehicle.

p.s. My truck is parked outside in gear without any e-brake.

Edited by keelhaul

It could simply be seizing, especially if you don't use it all the time.

I'd get under there, and grease any section of the cable not covered in a sleeve. Also, check the linkages at the rear wheels, and grease them accordingly.

well I would do what Simon says and test your ebrake too. If they moved things around in the locker install maybe something isnt lined up right. Brakes are pretty important especially the e-brake on manual trannies.