Noob Suspension Question

duke777

I just bought a 96 SE with 95k - the "struts and/or shocks" were changed at about 60k (" " confusing b/c that is what it said on the receipt). For transporting my motorcycle I just bought a MX hauler that puts about 300lbs on the tongue with the bike. What can i do to reduce the sag in the truck when carrying the bike. I am assuming i would want to do the front while i am at it.

I am doing minimal if any off-roading so nothing too robust and inexpensive is very important - i will only put about 6k mi a year on the truck.

Thanks

well there are shocks and struts on it. You have struts up front and shocks in the rear. So it could be helpful to know which was changed. The coils are going to be what you need to looking at for towing capacity. BTW the towing cap. for our pathfinders is 5,000 I believe.

I've pulled more wieght than that but it gets really hard to stop!

And yeah just go with some heavy duty coils front & rear.

No kidding on the stopping! I hauled 2500lbs of porcelin in the back of my Pathy. I already have the AC 2" lift coils and Bilsteins on the back.....they performed wonders....kept me from bottoming out and stay very stable for that much weight.....i've also changed the rear upper and lower control arm bushings, so that helped too.

Change the rear shocks and springs, and don't forget the rear bushings....the bushings will really help eliminate side to side wobbling.....

I looked more closely at the receipt for the work done and the struts were replaced at 78k with GR-2. I think i may opt for the OME rear coils and shocks since they have not been changed yet. And probably do the front coils to match. thanks for the help.

I would never tow 5k with my manual..yikes!

I think you are looking for something like some OME springs. They provide minimal lift (1.75" I believe), but there will be very, very little sag with the medium coils in the back. It's about $240 shipped for the set of 4 springs, which is a VERY good deal.