clutch sticking a bit

97SE

ever since I've had it, the clutch doesn't want to disengage all the way...it sticks about 3/4 way back. I've gotten used to just popping it back with the top of my foot. I've tried everything I can think of, grease, fluid, etc. Any ideas?

The big question is to determine if the clutch is sticking, or is the pedal sticking. If the pressure plate gets worn that could feel like sticking, but usually its the opposite - slipping.

It sounds like you've been over the pedal area, and there isn't much adjustment there. Not sure where to tell you to look.

The only clutch I've had hang up on release was a CentreForce with a broken retainer ring, but the Nissan clutch doesn't have any extra counterweights.

mike

don't know if this helps, but just recently (last 10K miles), I've noticed that on a harder take-off, I feel this "thunk"...like something is shifting, maybe a loose/broken motor mount or the driveshaft, moves...very hard to decsribe as I don't know where it's exactly coming from.

• 1 year later...
Guest dssenglish

I have the same type of problem with my clutch sticking. It only happens when I let my pathfinder sit for a while. The clutch seems to warm up after using it a few times and will act normal. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it, or does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried to greese the actual clutch pedal, and I plan on changing the clutch fluid tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dssenglish

Just as a follow up to my last post. I also heard a grinding in my transmission when I started my pathfinder this weekend. It would grind if it was in neutral or in a gear with the clutch down. Could this problem be related to the clutch pedal sticking? Both of the problems go away when my pathfinder is warmed up. This may end up being an expensive problem. Does anyone have any suggestions, or anything that could cheer me up?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dssenglish

I found that my slave cylinder was really messed up. I replaced it and changed the fluild. The clutch is back to normal!

However, that pesky noise is still there some of the times when I start the pathfinder up cold.