Whining Sound

ShadowManR6

Driving a 86.5/87 Nissan Pathfinder. So had my water pump die on me and finally got around to changing it, got it in no problem, everything went back in place no problem, no left over bolts/screws, whatever. Startup the car and i get a low whining coming from the crank shaft area, thought it sounded similar to maybe a belt not moving right, or a pulley not keeping up with the belt, etc. but everything is moving correctly and belts are in the right place. Loosened/tightened the crank shaft bolt (the big one that holds it in) and doesn't seem to change anything. The higher RPM's i go faster/louder the whining goes. Is there something special i need to do for it, or someone have a similar situation and have a solution, appears to be running top shape other then the sound.

Edited by ShadowManR6

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah - but I'm a little pressed for time. It's in the archives - do a search for "timing belt tension".

finally getting around to it, are you referring to the tightening of the belt itself (allen wrench) , or the nut holding the tensioner pulley?

belt should not be able to be twisted more than 1/2" or 90 degrees i believe...... or, if oyu wanna do it by the book, 22lbs of pressure on the belt while yer tightening it up.

make sure the lowest timing belt cover bolt is tight...I've had 2 back out and make a scrubbing/squeeling metal to metal sound...then the ear broke looks on both had the TB cover hitting the back of the pulley so I had to form the TB cover over the broken off ear to keep it from scrubbing...just a suggestion to check