Extreme shaking when braking, steering wheel vibrations...

Ok, so i have searched many other posts on the situation(s) that i have. I have found them helpful but still need other opinions.

I have an 01 LE w/ 83k on it. First ill start off with the slight vibration in the steering wheel at 55 to 65mph. Im not sure when the wheels/tires were balanced last (rotated 3500k ago)... The vibration will only last for a couple seconds then go away. It will eventually come back again then go away... Any thoughts?

Next, say im going 60mph and i have to stop quickly, if i step very firmly on the brakes, it feels like the whole truck shakes. i would say most of the shaking is coming from the front. It just doesnt happen at 60mph...if i am going slower and i press harder on the brakes and it will still happen...just not as much...

im thinking i have warped rotors...but the brakes were just replaced about 4k ago and the bearings were repacked...

Insight from everybody would be great!

Thanks,

J

Ok, so i have searched many other posts on the situation(s) that i have. I have found them helpful but still need other opinions.

I have an 01 LE w/ 83k on it. First ill start off with the slight vibration in the steering wheel at 55 to 65mph. Im not sure when the wheels/tires were balanced last (rotated 3500k ago)... The vibration will only last for a couple seconds then go away. It will eventually come back again then go away... Any thoughts?

Next, say im going 60mph and i have to stop quickly, if i step very firmly on the brakes, it feels like the whole truck shakes. i would say most of the shaking is coming from the front. It just doesnt happen at 60mph...if i am going slower and i press harder on the brakes and it will still happen...just not as much...

im thinking i have warped rotors...but the brakes were just replaced about 4k ago and the bearings were repacked...

Insight from everybody would be great!

Thanks,

J

The second part is warped rotors...the vibration at speed i imagine is bad balance, but i dont see why it would be inconsistent

For the first symptom, I would check the wheel balance like you suspect. I would look at the tires for obvious things like something stuck in the treads, a chunk of rubber missing, a flat spot, uneven wear, and cupping. I would look for signs that a weight fell off (a "shadow" on the rim where it used to be), and do a visual check to see if a rim is bent. Then I would get all 4 wheels rebalanced.

If that didn't work, I would check the front bearings for excessive play... even though you repacked them recently, they might be worn. Then I would take a look at the tie-rod ends and steering linkages.

Any of these problems may cause inconsistent symptoms. Resonances in general are capricious. Differences in road surface, load, speed, temperature, etc. can easily de-tune a resonance. Even if the vibration goes away after a few minutes under consistent conditions, maybe a bad bearing started resonating, heated up due to the extra motion, and then stopped. :shiftyeyes: Don't take this last scenario seriously! it's only a far-out speculation that I just made up as an example... what I'm trying to say is, trying to find the conditions for the vibration and diagnosing it from there would be much harder than just addressing the usual suspects from the beginning.

As for the second symptom, I'd suspect the rotors too. Although you had the brakes done recently, rotors can warp for reasons other than wear. It should be a simple check and a routine fix.

Edited by IncidentalOffroader

I was having the exact same problem on my 2004 pathfinder. Bought a new set of slotted rotors of E-Bay for about 144, and they come with ceramic pads, not a bad deal. They are suppsoed to arrive today, and as soon as I get around to installing them, I will report back and let you know if that was my problem.

I was having the exact same problem on my 2004 pathfinder. Bought a new set of slotted rotors of E-Bay for about 144, and they come with ceramic pads, not a bad deal. They are suppsoed to arrive today, and as soon as I get around to installing them, I will report back and let you know if that was my problem.

ok thanks