Can a newer FI motor be put in an '88

trtturbo

Guys, I've only owned my first PF for 2 weeks, and I'm buying another. It's an '88 and I think the motor is bad.

If I get a newer, say '94ish motor, can it be swapped without much drama? I looked for a thread on this, but didnt find it.

Thanks

Welcome!

First off, the '88 is also FI'd - it's just that it is a TBI instead of MPFI. The crankcase, heads, accessories, etc are effectively identical.

So yes, it can be done. You just need to keep ECU, sensors (MAF, air temp, TPS, etc), wiring harness, and air plumbing (filter, etc) for the intake you choose to use.

But that is more work than just swapping in the new engine and using the original '88 parts from intake up.

The main thing the later MPFI gets you is a bit more power and efficiency. I've thought of doing it, but durnit, the '88 TBI system works well enough to make it not quite worth it to me!

In addition, it would cause some hassles for me in California for smog reasons. It would need to go to referee station and be inspected as the year of the engine.

Edited by mws

I guess to me the tbi isnt "real" fuel injection, even though technically it is. I was just thinking that if I have to find a motor, and I can use a newer multi port, I would.

Thanks for the info.

Now I just have to find a motor.

I understand. It is kind of a halfway step.... Well, more like an 90% step in the Pathy's. Properly done (as in the Pathy), it is still a HUGE improvement over a carb, and having driven TBI and MPFI VG30's back to back, I find the difference to be relatively small. Noticeable, but small. The Pathy TBI is NOTHING as pathetic as the original GM efforts....

If you find a post '89 engine to put in, start with the '88 TBI set up and give it a try. Once it's running great and all the other niggles are fixed, then tackle the swap.

Make sure you get everything with the later engine! Getting all the parts later will be a pain and $$$.

yes it can be done...get the 94 engine and swap over the intake from the 88...

I have a 95 engine, dash, wiring harness in my 87 but havent had time in the last year or so to finish the swap as I find more and more things I need to swap over to work flawlessly...right now I need a VSS and I think everything ill be good...other than that it cranks and drives for now but I just go locally to cycle the tranny and TC until I get it completely right...I've got worries on the way I laid the harness in so I will prob pull the dash back out and reroute it correctly instead of my rush job b4 I make it completely road worthy...theres a topic just search my name if you want to read my experiences...(theres 1 here and 4x4parts.com)