Changing Front Brake Pads

MJBBMANO

Performing a pad-slap is pretty easy. A simple pad-slap involves removing the tire, removing one 14mm bolt from the bottom of the brake caliper, swinging the caliper up, and removing the old pads. Compress the caliper with a C-clamp and a piece of wood or metal (to span both pistons at once), insert the new pads (reusing the plates and clips from the old pads), swing the caliper down, and bolt everything back up.

On the other hand, if your rotor is grooved or worn, it may need resurfacing, which is much more involved, requiring disassembly of the hub in order to remove the brake rotor.

Performing a pad-slap is pretty easy. A simple pad-slap involves removing the tire, removing one 14mm bolt from the bottom of the brake caliper, swinging the caliper up, and removing the old pads. Compress the caliper with a C-clamp and a piece of wood or metal (to span both pistons at once), insert the new pads (reusing the plates and clips from the old pads), swing the caliper down, and bolt everything back up.

On the other hand, if your rotor is grooved or worn, it may need resurfacing, which is much more involved, requiring disassembly of the hub in order to remove the brake rotor.

thanks for the info. What kind of brake pads are good that don't throw a lot of brake dust? Nissan wanted 298 to change the brakes and around my way places want 79 for cheap pads.

Ceramic brake pads throw off dust that is less visible than semi-metallic brake pads.

You can read about ceramic pads here.

I have a set of Akebono Ceramic Pads on my rig. They work great.

You can visit rockauto.com to get a lower price on those pads. They seem to have very competitive prices overall.

01powerstop_parts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ceramic brake pads throw off dust that is less visible than semi-metallic brake pads.

You can read about ceramic pads here.

I have a set of Akebono Ceramic Pads on my rig. They work great.

You can visit rockauto.com to get a lower price on those pads. They seem to have very competitive prices overall.

01powerstop_parts.jpg

Hi, new member here, and first post. Ive got a warped rotor apparently since my steering wheel is shaking when braking.

I found a set of rotors like the ones in your pic, and they come with some ceramic pads as well.

Ive done several brake jobs, but normallu pads only, and this is my first Pathy so Im nor real sure or confident about removing the rotors.

I tried to search the forum for a step by step on this job, but I didnt find any answers.

2004 pathfinder se

• 2 weeks later...
The process of replacing the rotors is a lot like this:

http://www.xplorx4.com/gallery2/v/pathfind...ub_replacement/

You will probably want to repack the bearings while you've got everything apart, too.

Hey thanks XPLORx4,

The rotors are supposed to be here today. Probably throw them on this weekend and see if it fixes my problem. Never seen a toner ring before when Ive done brakes, but doesnt look to be very difficult.

Hey thanks XPLORx4,

The rotors are supposed to be here today. Probably throw them on this weekend and see if it fixes my problem. Never seen a toner ring before when Ive done brakes, but doesnt look to be very difficult.

You don't need to replace the ABS tone ring if you're only replacing the rotors and reusing the existing wheel hub. I had to replace the wheel hub, so that's why the tone ring was removed and reinstalled.