timing belt walking off the pulleys

amyj1969

Sorry this has been such a pain. It happens. Well, first I was wondering if you can take a pic with camera or cell phone and post it so we can see what is goin on. My next concern is that you have the wrong belt. Some have a square tooth belt and others have a round tooth belt. Yours should be square tooth IIRC. The two guides, on either side of the crank gear, should keep everything aligned once the tension is set. You do not need the spring on the tensioner if you set it correctly. Keep posting and we can help!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

we dont have the front guide on the crank gear yet, cause he wants to make sure the belt is right before he puts it back together. the back on is on. the old belt stayed on the cams without the front guide, it didnt walk off the cams. he has had the tenion set right every time, the tensioner has been at 5 at 5:30, at almost every angle with the right tension but the belt still walks forward coming off the cams.

Ok, the pics dont work. Use Photobucket or another pic hosting site. That is what works for me. How long are you trying to run it with it mosty torn down? It could walk a little unti you put it all back together. I have never seen a belt walk off. Between the guides and the covers it should stay put. You could tighten the tensioner a touch more if you like. Just not too tight, or it will make noise.

That is what is weird cause the old belt stayed right on, with n guide to keep it on. The tensioner had some rubber or tar build up, i expect from the old belt, took it off and ckeaned it up, hopefully that will help. This is just craziness cause everything worked perfect with the old belt but did not want to take the chance of losing the motor so we got a new blet, 2 infact cause the first was a cheap one and when it did that we figured it wasnt made right so we bought a Gates belt. I will try to do the pics from the place you said.

So, you are not changing the tensioner? Thats ok, depending upon mileage or if its been changed before. You problably had a little of the old belt material left over on the pulley. Everything in those pics looks ok. Did you verify all the timing marks are correct now that you have the belt on? Wait, you said you ran it correct? so it should be ok. Once you put it back together you should be ok.

couldnt afford to change tensioner, truck has been down for 2 weeks and i am not working. i cleaned the tensioner up, all the timing marks are in line. i think he is done for the day, too cold and truck is in driveway cause we have another car in garage that isnt running. i think in the morning he is going to go ahead and put it back together then, if you think it will be all right. thank you so much for your help. We really appreciate it

Absolutely! Put the front guide and harmonic balancer on and then try it.

Make sure you have belt tension set where you can just barely twist the upper part 90 degrees.

I'll bet you a six pack it works perfectly!

I want to thank everyone for your advice. He got it and is running great. There were two things he had to do, first when he checked the tension between the 2 cams, the tensioner would move, he left the allenw rench in the keyhole and watched it while he tested tension and got that straightened. Also there was a bunch of build up on the tensioner from the old belt. He took it off and I cleaned it up, and when he put it back on the new belt stayed where it was supposed to. The build up was making uneven spots on the tensioner, so it would not stay where it was supposed to. Again thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I am able to take my kids to school again!!!