Designing a Snorkel

Kittamaru

Aight, I've followed a few of the snorkel threads here and none of them really caught my eye - I have a few design specs I need to know:

What is the MINIMUM "volume" tube I need to ensure enough airflow?

What kind of material should I use? I was thinking of forming it via fiberglass, would that be strong enough if I reinforced it with wire mesh?

How should I attach it to the airbox? I was thinking of bypassing the filter box completely and putting a cone or box filter inside a watertight access compartment where I can take it out to clean.

Should I face it forwards or backwards? If it faces front I get the air-ram effect, but are there any downsides to mounting it as such?

Finally, would it be easier to route it out the fender, or should I pull it out the hood itself? Problem I see with pulling it thru the hood is that I won't be able to use the old hinges... would have to remount it so it can open XD

Your best bet is to come out of the fender.

Fiberglass is kind of iffy, as it can crack and leak.

When designing it, you want the inside to be as smooth, and have the least ammount of bends possible.

First off, you will want to remove the tube that goes from the air box, across the front of the truck towards the passenger side.

Next u want to cap off that hole in the airbox where you removed the tube.

I found Epoxy and a few small bolts work great (make sure u put the nuts on the outside, incease one comes loose. I tightend mine down, and coverd them in epoxy so they will never come off.

A lot of people use PVC pipe (you have to keep in mind that UV rays destroy plastic after time) so get something that is going to hold up to the weather.

That should get you brainstorming.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, there are a lot of people on here that have made there own. So just keep asking.

If you go with a bend at the top of the a-pillar, I would put a wire from the top of the opening, down to the pipe going up the a-pillar, so branches will run up the wire and over the top of the snorkel bend, to prevent damage to the curved part at the top and to prevent branches and such from catching on it.

If you go with a bend at the top of the a-pillar, I would put a wire from the top of the opening, down to the pipe going up the a-pillar, so branches will run up the wire and over the top of the snorkel bend, to prevent damage to the curved part at the top and to prevent branches and such from catching on it.

Good idea..

Any idea on diameters?

I would suggest 3." That is more than enough for adequate airflow, but also doesn't mean that your piping will block all of your view forward of the a-pillar. Ultimatly, the airflow is going to be restricted at the throttle body, and going with anything wider than that is not going to do anything for your performance.. The ram air-effect will only be noticed at speeds above 30-40mph, and at speeds much over, the pathfinder is a brick anyways, and you'd need a lot more hp than what it would produce to notice anything. I've never had a nissan (built performance cars albeit) benefit at all from a ram air effect. Some actually caused issues with the electronics.

I know the colder, denser air will help slightly, plus it'd be cleaner. The air-ram can only serve to provide a limited boost by increasing breathing, but I don't expect to gain 5000 hp off of this :P

Hell, I'm currently just working to restore her back to all 135 or so horses... after 18 years I doubt she's running on all of em XD

I know the colder, denser air will help slightly, plus it'd be cleaner. The air-ram can only serve to provide a limited boost by increasing breathing, but I don't expect to gain 5000 hp off of this :P

Hell, I'm currently just working to restore her back to all 135 or so horses... after 18 years I doubt she's running on all of em XD

Completly Understood :)

I was just stating that every one of my Nissans has had touchy afm syndrome, and ususally trying to force too much air through (blow through) seems to mess with them and cause Fuel/Air Issues.