Cleaning the EGR?

zack1978

Hey everyone,

My other post is here about the ghost CEL, and I was in the garage section doing some CEL searching and I came up on this quote below:

"My 95 started doing that the last time I was back east...I didn't get time to look into it but I assume its what 88 said full of carbon...and with my EGR function SES light it only comes on periodically but goes off a couple of mins later and will be off for a while and then come back on so I assume the valve is sticking b/c of buildup"

That seems like what my truck is doing? CAn I clean my EGR? If so how?

Thanks,

Zack

remove the egr, clear out lines to BPV (back presure valve) and the EGR tube that goes into the exhaust. The EGR is a rubber bladder inside, so clean it briskly with brake cleaner...as it dires the fastest and won't eat at the rubber as much as other cleaners...I am not sure if you can get pipe cleaners in there, but that may lead to puncturing the bladder if not careful...voila you should be good to go for 10-20K...depending on the condition of the EGR this may not last too long, but usually the tubes and vacuum lines are the worst culprit!

Hope that helps!! :aok: