No spark, any ideas?

MarkGardiner

went for a run, started sputtering, eventually died out, started back up, ran awhile, started sputtering under load again and died, had to get hauled home. also my rpm tach was going nuts but the engine wasnt matching, also a weird noise comin from under the hood (almost like wires burning), that noise ended up being my main relay, which i switched out for a new one. the weird noise and rpm gauge going nuts stopped, however now i got no fire. I tested resistance on both ignition coils, seem alright, tested for spark directly from the coils with no go, cap and rotor are good, rotors turning, resistance is good on cap, battery is good, cleaned maf about oh a month or 2 ago.

btw 88 wd21 z24

thanks ahead of time.

If you say there were wires burning, I would check continuity on everything I could get my meter on. I would start at the control wire harness that goes to the coil. I would also trace out the wires that go to that burnt main relay. If the wires that power the coil of that relay are toast, the relay contacts wont operate. Also, go along those wire harnesses and try to bend them. If they break, they are probably cooked.