For the Gun Slingers

crazyhayseed

It seems there might be a few pro-gun members around beside myself. I've been looking for a good way to pack two Mossbergs and a pair of 45's around in the 21 w/o just throwing them in the back.

I might mount a lock box somewhere for the HGs, but I'm hung up on the long guns.

000_0570.jpg

Does anyone have gun mounts in their truck? Any idea on how to work out security and ease of access?

security and ease of access

oxy moron -

I would go with out of sight out of mind. build a shallow false floor in cargo area and match carpet so it's hidden. Use a padlock that can only be accessed with the hatch open and don't tell anyone. How are concealed weapon laws where you are? As long as the box is locked and out of reach from driver you should be exempt.

oxy moron -

Why? It works for police cars... for the most part.

I'm interested in this for off road, not driving through the suburbs. My shotguns stay home most days.

I want the guns within reach, but I don't want my 5 year old blowing a hole in the roof of my truck... or worse.

KY has the "two-step" rule. As long as it takes two separate motions to access the weapon, you're good.

But again, that's a town and highway thing.

I was thinking you wanted them secure from theft... There's not a lot of room to work without a major mod.

Get crazy and remove back seat, install two small bucket seats with a vertical gunrack between the two. Then that's pretty much in the 5yr olds lap.

If you hang hooks from roof with barrels pointed out the back, you'd still bang your head on the stock at every pothole.

btw nice guns are they semi's? They look like they have some pump action.

If you hang hooks from roof with barrels pointed out the back, you'd still bang your head on the stock at every pothole.

btw nice guns are they semi's? They look like they have some pump action.

Hmm, good point. Perhaps measurements are in order.

I've got some ideas from the Galls catalog, but Jeez that stuff is expensive!

Thank you! Nope, not semi. Those are plain 'ol Mossberg 500s w/ ATI adjustable stocks and fore ends.

They're still waiting on shorter barrels and better sights.

I have always wanted a way to secure something like this or even the fly rods to the interior roof... with out trashing the headliner.. They got stuff for the Glass.... Maybe Ill just have to play with some Velcro...

I have always wanted a way to secure something like this or even the fly rods to the interior roof... with out trashing the headliner.. They got stuff for the Glass.... Maybe Ill just have to play with some Velcro...

Big Sky Racks makes a non-evasive overhead mount, but it's really expensive and the mounts left to right vs front to back.

sbr2g.jpg

I was really hoping that there was more out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not mounted anything on my Pathy but about 5 or so years ago I had an 81 Bronco that was my offroad vehicle & I had mounted (screwed it in) a Fobus Roto Paddle Holster to the right of the steering collumn under the dash. I kept my Glock 30 (sub-compact double stacked .45) there when I went offroading deep in the mountains on old logging trails & strip mines back home in WV (there are many cookers of Meth as well as many many Marijuna growers to look out for). The way it was positioned I could keep my left hand on the steering wheel while grabbing the pistol with the right if need be.

Also I wouldn't mount those 2 shotguns in your vehicle for the simple fact that the barrels are too long. I would go with an 18" Mossberg 500 (or maybe a home constructed 15" barrel) with a pistol grip if you are wanting to mount them on the roof as apposed to simply having them laying around the back end. But just my $.02

PS if you have any other gun related questions you can go to thehighroad.org It might be a little more helpful (BTW I go by Offwhite on that board)

I've not mounted anything on my Pathy but about 5 or so years ago I had an 81 Bronco that was my offroad vehicle & I had mounted (screwed it in) a Fobus Roto Paddle Holster to the right of the steering collumn under the dash. I kept my Glock 30 (sub-compact double stacked .45) there when I went offroading deep in the mountains on old logging trails & strip mines back home in WV (there are many cookers of Meth as well as many many Marijuna growers to look out for). The way it was positioned I could keep my left hand on the steering wheel while grabbing the pistol with the right if need be.

Also I wouldn't mount those 2 shotguns in your vehicle for the simple fact that the barrels are too long. I would go with an 18" Mossberg 500 (or maybe a home constructed 15" barrel) with a pistol grip if you are wanting to mount them on the roof as apposed to simply having them laying around the back end. But just my $.02

PS if you have any other gun related questions you can go to thehighroad.org It might be a little more helpful (BTW I go by Offwhite on that board)

18" barrel is fine. 15" unless you go through the SBS process will land you in jail as it's a Federal Firearms Felony.

18" shotguns are called "cruiser guns" for a reason - because they're the right size to fit in a police cruiser. Those shotguns pictured above are just too long to fit in the Pathfinder in any way they'd be easy to access. If you put a 18" barrel on them, you can use any of the dashboard mounts that are available to police to mount them.

18" barrel is fine. 15" unless you go through the SBS process will land you in jail as it's a Federal Firearms Felony.

Blah blah blah, its only illegal if you get caught.

I'm not so sure about that law anyhow b/c I've purchased a sawed-off shotgun from a pawn shop, twice (once in WV & once in NC) without any special permission from the goverment (God knows you have to ask them to do anything anymore & they still sh!t all over you). The way it was explained to me, by a man of the law no less, was that if the shotgun is manufactured from the company it's registered a certain way but you can sell, posses or purchase a "modified", and I use the phrase lightly, one legally so long as you are not caught making the "modification" without all of the hoops & extra sh!t. Oh & without them knowing what you have in your household no less (they don't need to know anyhow).

Anywho, I'm not worried. Law enforcement & goverment have no need to "come into" my domain. I'm not out killing or robbing or gang bangin' with any weapons I have so who cares what I have. Hell I pay my taxes, I support a couple hundred people on Wellfare from my hard earned money alone; I don't cheat, steal or molest the system (and what a sh!tting one it is too), so all I ask is to be left alone.

Sorry to highjack by the way

Hell I pay my taxes, I support a couple hundred people on Wellfare from my hard earned money alone; I don't cheat, steal or molest the system (and what a sh!tting one it is too), so all I ask is to be left alone.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!! I would love to know how many lazy a$$ welfare receiving fools my family pays for!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I went offroading deep in the mountains on old logging trails & strip mines back home in WV (there are many cookers of Meth as well as many many Marijuna growers to look out for). The way it was positioned I could keep my left hand on the steering wheel while grabbing the pistol with the right if need be.

They are 500s. What I want is the 590A1, but the 20" barrel/extended magazine combo is on backorder at Brownells.

My first real "wheeling" experiences where in a place like you describe in central CA. They called it "Dirt-bag" for a reason. Awesome place if you didn't run into any dope farmers.

Kentucky can be pretty bad if you get into the wrong hollers.

Thanks for the tip and the link.

There is a specific barrel restriction to those w/o a license. I read it just recently, though I can't quote if now for the life of me. I'm pretty sure it's 18.5...