Air Compressors

02silverpathy

Hey guys...my bud of 21 yrs bailed out on me when both of our lives got tough...with him he took His compressor and tools...our Heater, a once great car trailer that I had no use for, and 6 mos of garage rent as well as $750 he personally owed me.......rant over...

I want/need an air compressor and am looking for input here:

good size/power for a shade-tree

great longevity with maint

good value

I have my eye on a Kobalt belt drive at Lowes, as all the Craftsmen are direct drive...but man is that wallet draining! No tools come with !! Ouch! There is a DeWalt that looks appealing (Lowes again), however it has 2 small 4 gallon tanks, and I can't picture that being really great for banging out say, brake work or suspension work!

You have to think about power consumption. The most powerful motor you're going to get that works on a standard 120v plug is 5hp. If you have a 230-240v plug, your options grow exponentially. To get longevity, and reliability, you have to go oil lubed, belt driven. Do some research. You'll want a FULL cast iron pump, not an aluminum pump with iron cylinders.

I've got a Coleman Powermate, 20gallon, 5HP model, that works well for anything I need. It's belt driven, and has a full cast pump. Heavy sucker, but well worth it.