roof rattle, looking for any help i can get

laxman0324

So I have had a rattle just behind my sunroof, but now that i removed the sunroof and the shade and everything, i know it is coming from somewhere on the crossmember that goes right over the passenger compartment. I have jammed long screw drivers, meter sticks, everything in every gap i could find and it still rattles... My ides are either to...

1. find some way to remove the crossmember and leave it out

2. Cut a hole in the headliner, and get a bunch of cheap leather gloves from home depot, cut off the cloth, and jam the leather in every gap i can find...

does anyone know how much weaker to roof structure will be without that crossmember? This noise has been driving me freaking crazy, it only occurs at 50+, but most roads im on are that.

Thanks,

Mike

You sure its not the spare tire carrier, roof rack or the rear spoiler???? Something in the sunroof rain tray???

A screw in the rear drivers side ashtray drove me nuts for 2 or 3 months once....

Its def. not any of that, i have the sunroof off and the sunroof cover off and i know it is that...i have shoved screw drivers in every gap and bang on the roof and i still get the noise...its driving me crazy, especially since i found it but I CANT FIND IT!!!! :crossedwires:

I had a rattle in my roof. I'd get a vibration at hwy speeds - turned out it was the roof rack crossbars. I loosed them and moved them around a bit - no problems since.

I dont have any crossbars on mine any more. It turns out the cross members are glued on to the roof, and the glue had come undone, so i used a candle lighter thing and heated the glue up and pressed the bar onto the roof for a minute or so, and it has stopped so far, thank god.

Thanks for all your help.