belt tension?

Nissan3

hey everyone, my truck recently developed a belt squeek at cold idle, and went away when warmed up. But today its actually been squeeking even when warmed up. I tried adjusting the belt, the thing i don't know is how do you know when its to tight?? I loosened the nut on the idler and tightened the bolt for the adjuster but it doesn't seem to be tightning. Also the belts were replaced by nissan about 6 months ago. any ideas.. thanks

What belt is it thats squeaking? It could be that the power steering fluid is low, the alternator bearings are going out (I've had one sieze on a different car), etc. Generally speaking, you don't want to overtighten the belts or you can prematurely wear out components.

I don't have my manual infront of me so I'll just go with rule of thumb. 1/4-1/2" total of belt movement up and down on the longest stretch of belt (lift and push it down) is generally right. With out disregarding this standard, tighten the belt incrementally (tighten, drive, tighten, drive, etc) until it stops squealing or until it is obviously overtightened. If it is overtightened, you may have an issue with a component. Once you have the tools together and have done it a few times, you can adjust any belt in a few minutes. I've done this at the store parking lot or before leaving work...

You can loosen the belt and check the component it drives for a tight or chunky pully rotation. This usually means bearings are going out.

If the belt is glazed and/or the pullys have build up from the belt slipping, it should be removed as it will allow a normally correctly tightened belt to slip. Some meduim grit sand paper on the belt and the same or a wire brush for the pully's will remove residue and 'resurface' it.

Lastly, there are belt dressings you can buy. One old trick is as simple as a bar of soap, but I don't know if helps it grip, or just lets it slip without squealing. :shrug:

Try some of these things and get back to us. Good luck, it shouldn't be hard.

B

Oh, it could be your idler pully (top center) bearing is going out. I know mine is a bit crunchy, but I just plan to take the belt off as my AC system (the only thing that belt drives) doesn't work due to parts missing...

Could also be the harmonic balancer. They tend to slip a little and start squeaking when you need a new one.

cool, thanks for the help guys. It sounds like the alternator belt not the AC, at first I thought maybe the power steering pump cause it was squeeking around that area. But las night I went at it again, and tightned both belts cause it still feels like there is some flex in them so they can't be "overtightened" I started it and it was still squeeking but not as bad. So I tried a quik fix that a mechanic I worked with showed me, take a tiny dab of black silicone and put it on the grooves of the belt. Voila no squeak, I even started it in the morning, nothing. So hopefully thats the end of it until they need replacing.

Hmm, sounds like the belt was glazed. Cool trick though, never heard of silicone as a fix.

*files the information*

Yeah, power steering generally squeals when turning the wheel, but the alternator can do it all the time. If it comes back, take the time to isolate the cause so you don't wind up stuck somewhere.

B