Indiglo/EL gauge faces and S13 240SX steering wheel

GhostPath

This week's project was dealing with the bad steering wheel I had and improving the dash visibility/legibility.

I fitted a steering wheel out of a base model S13 240SX (nearly direct fit, needed some trimming of the column clamshells) and Indiglo-type gauge faces (which can be set to mimic the green/white illumination of the rest of the dashboard).

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

They work great. Total cost: Wheel, $25 from salvage yard. Gauge overlays, $25 shipped from eBay. Time: about two hours to get it all in and working.

Video of gauges cycling from minimum brightness to max, from green to blue and back. The camera really can't capture it very well, this is the best I can get.:

IMG_0460.JPG

Yeah, I know the gauges are a little ricey, but the old stock dashboard just isn't all that great at night.

Edited by GhostPath

I like the Gauge overlays.where did you wire them in to?

They are wired to an inverter (came with the set) that I spliced into the lighting circuit - specifically, I tapped off the lines going into the dashboard lighting dimmer rheostat using T-taps (DO NOT USE SCOTCHLOCKS). The inverter itself is attached to the underside of the dash at a support beam with heavy duty outdoor-grade 3M *gray* doublesided foam sticky tape (Home Depot, $4 if you don't already have a roll, has a red plastic backing that you peel off). Slots right in the space there like it was made for it:

IMG_0446.JPG

The wires were routed around the side of the instrument cluster and down to the inverter through a pre-existing hole.

IMG_0441.JPG

On the other, exposed side of the underdash panel, I attached the dimmer/color controls for the overlays. It already has a 3M adhesive back, so all I had to do was wipe down the area with alcohol to clean it, let it dry, then apply the switch panel.

IMG_0447.JPG

After install:

IMG_0458.JPG