power transistor

nissan4x4

it will either look like this:

1800268.jpg

or like this

wa917-1.jpg

depends on what year and engine it is.

it the black one with fins on it. if it went out would you still get voltage thru it?cause my voly meter says 12.56 volts. would this stop the computer from receiving the signal as in a error 21.thanks so much

Edited by nissan4x4

what do you mean voltage through it? you cant test the module just by reading the voltage, the only 2 tests are a resistance test, and a KV test using a scope. Its a transistor, so it is an amplifier, its there to increase the power sent to the coil. they can completely fail, or stop working when hot. i would just replace it, its cheap.

what do you mean voltage through it? you cant test the module just by reading the voltage, the only 2 tests are a resistance test, and a KV test using a scope. Its a transistor, so it is an amplifier, its there to increase the power sent to the coil. they can completely fail, or stop working when hot. i would just replace it, its cheap.

i just priced one at $80.00 does that sound about right for price.

if you are getting a code for it its probably on its way out. did you make sure all of ignition wires are okay? maybe you need a new set, how are you confirming a strong/weak spark?

For the coil we stick a spark plug in the coil wire end and ground it on the engine block.all the ignition wires are about a 1,000 miles old, for the distributor we just take a spark plug out with the wire on it and ground it.

Edited by nissan4x4

well, you are not gonna get as strong spark at the plugs than at the coil. there is so much resistance in the wires that the spark energy has dropped significantly. what are your symptoms, engine stumbling, low power, etc....

well, you are not gonna get as strong spark at the plugs than at the coil. there is so much resistance in the wires that the spark energy has dropped significantly. what are your symptoms, engine stumbling, low power, etc....

engine doesnt start just turns over getting gas really weak orange spark from the distributor.