Removing rear links/arms

Tincan4X4

I need to remove my rear links from the suspension to take some measurements. Whats the easiest way of doing this? Is it as simple as jacking up the rear axle housing a bit and just unbolting the links?

Also, anyone happen to know the torque for the link bolts(frame side and axle side)?

Thanks.

take it your talking about your rear arms

chassis on stands, axle on stands then unbolt & remove. there going to be tight as well, probably need a good breaker bar

Edited by sw

• 2 weeks later...

When I changed the bushings in my rear arms, I just parked my Pathy, in gear, parking brake on and blocked the tires. I didn't put it on jackstands or anything, nothing moved. I did have to zip cut off the old bolts though, and replace them with brand new grade 8's that costed a pretty penny... so if you can avoid cutting, then do so.

I just did mine september 2006 and like mentioned above....just parked in the garage and got under it and went to work on unbolting them from the axle and then the usual cutting out of the rubber bearing and sleeve (using chisel and sawz all) and then grinding out the inner space of the arm (control arm / link....whatever...same thing) to allow for the new bearings to fit. The new bearings will most likely NOT fit into the ends of the arms unless you have a super duty press and some prayers that you dont break something. I found it easier to just use a sanding drum on a drill and just grind out the spaces on the ends of the arms a little bit and it worked great.

I only had to do my LOWER ARMS as my uppers were still in good shape. if doing all the bushings, I would suggest doing all uppers first, and then all lowers or vice versa, rather than removing all the arms at one time.

Put the arms back on the axle and that was that. Mine is also a '90 SE

I would include some photos here but the system wont let me for whatever reason so I gave up trying.