factory crossovers

Guest Rodney

Guest Rodney

Hello all just found this site and I'm darn glad! I'm haveing a hard time finding out about the stereo system. After reading a few posts on here I finaly know where my factory amps are! Thanks! I've swore I have them but couldn't find them. I have had an aftermarket radio in it for some time and I'm tired of only being able to turn the volume up halfe way before it distorts. I have recently installed an amp and subs and it's not gett'n it any more. What I'de like to know is, if I bypass the factory amps, do I bypass the crossovers too? They have to have crossovers or the tweets would have been gone by now. Someone please give me some input!

I believe, (though not 100% sure), that this was covered in the sticky at the top of the garage page. Oh well, easier to just reply, than to check, so here it is... :aok:

The crossover for the rear tweeters is in the rear. You can safely bypass the rear amp, and use the tweeters as normal. I'm running 50W into each rear speaker, and my tweeters are fine.

The crossover for the front is in the amp. Bypass the amp, and you bypass the crossover. I found that out when I bypassed the amp and almost immediately blew my front tweeters. P...

So you will need a crossover for the front tweeters.

Good luck :beer:

Most any newer amp will have at least a basic crossover that will do, as long as you're not trying to go competition. You could also buy simple passive inline crossovers for about $10-15 a pair. I blew mine and put in some $30 Jensen tweets from Sears 1 1/2 years ago. I run 1200 watts total, and have yet to smoke those tweets.