Can i tow this?

lunchindabox

Can I tow this my my R50?

105k miles.

automatic

4x4

100%stock.

I have no experience in towing, EVER.

The trialer is equipped with electric brakes and I would get a controller installed in the R50.

I do not know the weight of the trailer, that is an air foil for aerodynamics. I also do not know the wieght of the car.

Picture_026.jpg

How far are you towing?

If it's a fair distance, I'd say do some research on the weight of the car, and trailer. Max towing capacity is 5000lbs, with proper hitch. OD OFF!!!!

That said, I wouldn't tow 5000lbs with a 3.3L engine for any length of time. For longer distances...3500lbs would be the max I'd go.

With zero towing experience you may want to reconsider if it's a long haul. With that amount of weight even with trailer brakes, to keep from being pushed you may want an weight distributing hitch too-depends on the total weight.

The car also needs to be positioned on the trailer so its balanced correctly (too much tongue weigh vs. not enough).

If there are long/steep hills to go down during the trip I'd say don't try it. It's a very unnerving feeling to have the trailer trying to pass you up when the brakes are working. It'll make you look like a drunk driver. If they fail on a hill were you have to ride the brake to keep under the limit your trucks brakes won't be far behind. I've smoked the brakes on an 18wheeler a couple of times when I had a crap truck with no jake-brake, and it was very much scary as hell. I stopped at the bottom of the mountain and went for a 2 hour hike to let the brakes/drums cool and let my nerves settle.(Thank God I'm not still truckin)

It's nice that it has brakes, those make all the difference when/if they're working right. I wouldn't put my life in the trailer brakes hands tho.

Good luck with it either way.

I agree with what everybody here has said. I check the weight of the car and trailer if it is going to be over 3500 dont go very far with it. I pulled a tandem axle dump trailor with building supplies in it, we estimated the weight to be around 4300-4600lbs total give or take a bit!! I was only going about 10 miles down the road. I was not bad since it was a tandem axle the weight got distributed well and the tongue weight was reasonable so the pathy was not sitting quite on her rear tires. She has the power to pull it but she did not like the hills. All in all no big deal. And I second the notion NO OVERDRIVE!

Thanks for all the input guys. The trailer is my new toy and I will be using it in the future, no real plans for it, but the car comes with it. The guy is towing it down from NY to VA like you see it and giving me both the trailer and the car. I think he is using a silverado or something w/OUT a brake controller.

I will likely use the trailer on local things around town, and not likely farther then 75 miles. Although we have hills, we don't have mountains. O/D will not be used. A brake controller will be installed if I keep it.

I will probably tow this car with it a few miles but this would be the heaviest car I ever tow probably.

Tell me a little bit more about this weight distributing hitch, never heard of that. I was just going to have the car sit far back on the trailer to limit tounge weight.

The trailer has arrived. Looks good. Title says 1600lbs. I think the average car is 3000lbs. Probably not a good idea to tow with my R50 and I can't justify buying a new rig just for the occasional towing. Plus I have space issues already. Decided she has to go.

Thanks for all the advise.

Anyone interested in puchasing? I have her listed on the WashDC CL and Yotatech with all the details.

Asking 1700 on CL, probably take 1400 from a member of one of the forums I frequent.