Crank Pulley Spacer PN#12308-V5321

jj big shoe

It was eluded to in one of Mookie's old posts (see, I use the search function every once in a while) and after tracking the part number down I'm happy to say it looks like it will work. Sorry I didn't snap a pic of it before I installed it but it's pretty self-explanitory.

The big problem is there's a difference in the core depth between the older V belt pulley and the ribbed one. The spacer is a 1/2" or so thick washer with a keyway cut into it that slips over the crank to take up the gap between the pulley and the crank bolt. The thing I was most concerned about was the pulley only riding on just a little over half the outer woodruff key in the crank but after talking with a couple Nissan mechanics (who by the way had never heared of the spacer) they said the crank pulley has about 100ft-lbs of force on it max when driving the accessories, so I figure half the key plus the bolt being snugged down should be plenty to hold it in place.

I hopefully should have the engine back in this weekend and I'll let y'all know how it turned out. :aok:

Nice! Good work, man. Just for clarification, this is for using a Maxima or 300ZX VG30E with the long snout as a swap for a Pathy VG30E, right? I forget, would this work to use on a 3.3?
I bought this engine from a Japanese engine importer in CA so I'm not exactly sure. It's former duty was in a FWD vehicle so it wasn't a Z. Prolly a JDM Maxima or Minivan. If the 3.3 crank is the same length and circumference as the 3.0 I don't see why it wouldn't work. The spacer is about $10 so it's not a killer to run down to Nissan and order one to play with if you'd like.

If you Google the PN#, you'll get some 300Z forums with posts about it and the following from AERA Engine Builders Association (edited):

Revised Crankshaft On

1984-87 Nissan VG30 Engines

Nissan has revised the snout of the crankshaft and related

service parts for VG30 engines manufactured after April 1987.

Since only the revised crankshaft is being serviced by Nissan,

should it become necessary to use this crankshaft in 1984-1987

engines, several associated parts also need to be changed.

Engines manufactured prior to April 1987 carry a serial number

that ends in either 'A' or 'B'.

Crankshaft 12201-02P81 2

Bolt Spacer 12308-V5321

Crank Pulley Bolt Washer 12308-77A0

Crank Pulley Bolt 12309-16V00

The front pulley assembly is the same for either crankshaft.

The AERA Technical Committee

Ain't the 'net wunnerful? :)

Edited by jj big shoe

Very nice!! Good work man. We'll have to get someone to measure a 3.3 crank for us for comparison purposes.

This would make a 3.3 swap MUCH easier if it'd fit OK or with minimal mods. No crank swapping, just drop a short block in and bolt it up.

Very nice!! Good work man. We'll have to get someone to measure a 3.3 crank for us for comparison purposes.

This would make a 3.3 swap MUCH easier if it'd fit OK or with minimal mods. No crank swapping, just drop a short block in and bolt it up.

My 3.3L crank is at home. I can get measurements when I get home if yall like. Might be a good week or two before I do. There was some talk about using a pulley from the 3.0 long snout on the 3.3L long snout and it working to keep the v belt style... I'm going to see if I can dig it up in one of the forums.. I have yet to research further on it since I already went ahead got got a 3.0 short snout crank.