suspension question / loose play in wheels

mishikwest

94' pathy xe. Noticed a bit of a clunk when turning. Jacked up front end and ball-joints seem ok.....little rock when grabbing wheel and trying to tilt top to bottom. However when trying to rock fore and aft, like a steering motion, I get a fair amount of play. Looks like the looseness is everywhere, from tie rod ends and other steering linkage joints. What should I start replacing first? Oh, truck has 150k on the od.

Okay....I will assume stock components.

If you get side to side motion, you could have worn tie rod ends (inner and outer, both sides) and could have a bad centerlink. They're very common to go on these things. Look at where the inner tie rod end attaches. That's the centerlink. Try moving the wheel side to side while looking at that joint. If the centerlink rotates up and down as you move the tire, it's shot. If it doesn't move, but you see the tie rods moving...they're shot.

The up/down motion could be the ball joints, or the wheel bearings. Have someone move the wheel up/down while you look for play. Look at the top and bottom ball joints, if they aren't moving, but the wheel is, chances are the bearings need to be re-packed.

Thanks. Yeah the centerlink moves all over the place with up and down force applied to the tire. The tie rod ends move a bit also. I'll take a look at the wheel bearings too.

Ok, where is the recommended place to purchase all these components?

thx again!

There's lots of places. Call around locally for the best price/warranty (some have lifetime warranties) and go from there.

On the centerlink, there are 2 options.

Calmini HD steering setup = $$$

hoohaa on this board. PM him and talk to him about getting yours rebuilt. Search around for L&P steering. They're no longer in business, (though, they may still take your money, and you'll never get parts). hoohaa's centerlinks are the same, and plenty strong. I run one myself.