catalytic converter

95pathyoffroad

does removing the catalytic converter give me any horsepower. is the boost it gives me worth the ticket i get for not having one. just wondering. a friend of mine said just to take a rod and clean out the insides of the catalytic converter to pass inspections. he also said that i would have to adjust something with the gas or sumpthin about the way it revs, said it wont run the same without one...

just wonderin wat the experts have to say

does removing the catalytic converter give me any horsepower. is the boost it gives me worth the ticket i get for not having one. just wondering. a friend of mine said just to take a rod and clean out the insides of the catalytic converter to pass inspections. he also said that i would have to adjust something with the gas or sumpthin about the way it revs, said it wont run the same without one...

just wonderin wat the experts have to say

I don't have one anymore. It runs fine, no different than before.... and you don't gain anything by removing it.

Well, let's see - all environmental issues aside:

You will see some horsepower gains as the original old-tech catalytic converter is a restriction in the exhaust. Gains will be minor, on the order of 5-10hp at best.

However, the difference in power between a straight pipe (i.e., a piece of pipe welded in place of the cat - the best possible scenario for power) and a *modern* freeflow aftermarket catalytic converter is.... ONE HORSEPOWER at most.

The ticket, depending on who issues it to you, could net you up to 10 years in jail and a $100,000 fine from the Feds. Yup, it's a Federal felony now. Surprise!

A freeflow cat specifically designed for our trucks costs under $75 on the open market.

So, you tell me :

1. No cat and the risk of 10 years in jail and a $100,000 fine, plus your truck wouldn't pass smog plus it'd be polluting and illegal, or

2. One (or maybe less than that) horsepower less than the illegal configuration, plus your truck still passes smog, plus you aren't actually polluting, plus you're still legal but your wallet is $75 lighter.

You choose.

Ten years ago, catalytic converters were hard to come by and hideously expensive in addition to killing power. That's not the case any more. There is NO GOOD REASON to hollow out or remove all the cat(s) from your truck any more - and every reason not to.

Edited by GhostPath

You will see some horsepower gains as the original old-tech catalytic converter is a restriction in the exhaust. Gains will be minor, on the order of 5-10hp at best.

However, the difference in power between a straight pipe (i.e., a piece of pipe welded in place of the cat - the best possible scenario for power) and a *modern* freeflow aftermarket catalytic converter is.... ONE HORSEPOWER at most.

The ticket, depending on who issues it to you, could net you up to 10 years in jail and a $100,000 fine from the Feds. Yup, it's a Federal felony now. Surprise!

A freeflow cat specifically designed for our trucks costs under $75 on the open market.

So, you tell me :

1. No cat and the risk of 10 years in jail and a $100,000 fine, plus your truck wouldn't pass smog plus it'd be polluting and illegal, or

2. One (or maybe less than that) horsepower less than the illegal configuration, plus your truck still passes smog, plus you aren't actually polluting, plus you're still legal but your wallet is $75 lighter.

You choose.

Ten years ago, catalytic converters were hard to come by and hideously expensive in addition to killing power. That's not the case any more. There is NO GOOD REASON to hollow out or remove all the cat(s) from your truck any more - and every reason not to.

x2. be smart, get the high flow cat, save the planet, AND get horsepower - no reason not to. although you could lose some low end torque.

I had a roommate that had a high flow cat .....oh wait, that was his PET cat that crapped on everything....

Yeah go with a HIGH FLOW CATALYTIC definitly since they are cheap nowadays. When I had 3 RX-7's I yanked all the stock cat crap off and put headers and new high flow cats and racing muffler and it was niiiiiiice! and guess what...legal too! since I lived in NC at the time and they did the sniffer inspections....having the high flow cats on it allowed me to pass everytime, not to mention that the exhaust would have been waaaaaay too loud with out the minor muffeling that the cats provide.

some vehicles have O2 sensors AFTER the cat and to get around that can be a bit of a pain so again, just do the smart thing and replace the old with a new higher flowing (and lighter in weight) cat.

So, you tell me :

You choose.

will adding a high flow cat and a flowmaster (40 series) be a good idea...

will it sound good...

im not sure wat the flowmaster sounds like without the whole system...

will adding a high flow cat and a flowmaster (40 series) be a good idea...

will it sound good...

im not sure wat the flowmaster sounds like without the whole system...

I'm not a big fan of Flowmasters. They drone at highway speeds and just don't sound good, IMHO.

Also, they're not a true straight-through design, so you're denying yourself some of the potential max horsepower available.

I prefer Magnaflows - they're a straight-through no restriction design.