Cold Knocking.

Xmas

Knock or Tap???

A beer says you have a missing Exhaust Manifold Nut or Stud..... Normal for missing the nut or having a broken stud or 3...

Lift the hood when its cold its usually the Passenger side, back 3 studs....

Knock or Tap???

A beer says you have a missing Exhaust Manifold Nut or Stud..... Normal for missing the nut or having a broken stud or 3...

Humm interesting!! It only taps on the passegner side 4-sure.

Its probably not a knock, more like a loud TAP, but then goes away once the temp on the car goes to operation temperature (engine warmed up 100%)

Knock or Tap???

Ok, I think I am looking at the right place. If so, it does not look like any missing nuts :)

Should I look under the truck for the broken stud / bolts?

Is this the area??

P1020358.jpg

P1020361.jpg

you have to remove the heat shields to see if the studs are broken

Oh ok :D

Well on that heat sheild one bolt is not on. I think it was 3-total bolts on the heat shield itself.

I will take it off later on today and see. Thanks bud!!

Mine, and some others I know of also, have a tapping upon first cold start up of the day that goes away soon as the oil circulates fully though the heads/valvetrain and I am told this is pretty normal for these engines, especially high mileage ones. Mine has over 239,000 on it and purrs like a kitten....still drives like new.

Im told there is nothing one can do about the cold start tapping and it is harmless. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, and it only lasts for a few seconds if even that long at times.

I dont bother with the "snake oil" additives and all that bull crap...that say they will quiet noisy lifters/valves (hello these are hydraulic!).

just run top of the line oil.

IF it sounds more like a sewing machine rapping that dissipates once the engine is FULLY warmed up, then it is most likely the famous exhaust manifold leak thing and I have already been through that ....to replace broken studs years ago. Been fine ever since.

-Chris

Mine, and some others I know of also, have a tapping upon first cold start up of the day that goes away soon as the oil circulates fully though the heads/valvetrain and I am told this is pretty normal for these engines, especially high mileage ones. Mine has over 239,000 on it and purrs like a kitten....still drives like new.

Im told there is nothing one can do about the cold start tapping and it is harmless. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, and it only lasts for a few seconds if even that long at times.

I dont bother with the "snake oil" additives and all that bull crap...that say they will quiet noisy lifters/valves (hello these are hydraulic!).

just run top of the line oil.

IF it sounds more like a sewing machine rapping that dissipates once the engine is FULLY warmed up, then it is most likely the famous exhaust manifold leak thing and I have already been through that ....to replace broken studs years ago. Been fine ever since.

-Chris

I'm not sure if you are experiencing the same problem as I am..but I've narrowed mine down to piston skirt "slap" when the engine is cold. As it warms up, it goes away completely. Mileage on mine is 140k, but I'm HARD on it as far as rev's go. I've been driving it for 2 years this way, and I could probably easily drive it for 2 more, but have decided that it's time for another engine since the rear main is now leaking more than a bit.