Wont Start help!

nissan4x4

My 1988 pathfinder 4x4 wont start after i cleaned the maf and o2 sensors.It ran the best it has ever run since i had it so smooth and quiet like brand new,then i turned it off and let it sit maybe 2 hours then checked the oil and tried to start it just keeps turning over, it's getting gas we dont know about the spark. But it happend so fast no warning.

My 1988 pathfinder 4x4 wont start after i cleaned the maf and o2 sensors.It ran the best it has ever run since i had it so smooth and quiet like brand new,then i turned it off and let it sit maybe 2 hours then checked the oil and tried to start it just keeps turning over, it's getting gas we dont know about the spark. But it happend so fast no warning.

You don't clean O2 sensors, you replace them.

Have you tried pulling a plug wire off and checking for spark?

well i dont have the cash to get new o2 sensors so the guy at oreillys said to spray carb cleaner on them to just clean the crud off. And we did do that test with the spark plug and spark plug wire we saw no spark.

well i dont have the cash to get new o2 sensors so the guy at oreillys said to spray carb cleaner on them to just clean the crud off. And we did do that test with the spark plug and spark plug wire we saw no spark.

Um, no, carb cleaner won't get it off. The deposits are baked on. And if you're really unlucky, you just poisoned your sensors.

Check your coil, cap and rotor. If that's not it, you'll need to check the position sensor in the distributor.

• 2 weeks later...

you say you cleaned your maf sensor on an '88 pathfinder w\ a 3.0l? interesting, because my '88 pathy w/ the 3.0l v-6 is of the tbe brand and dosn't have a maf sensor. if your '88 has a maf sensor i'd love to hear about it.

Every 88 Pathfinder has a MAF sensor unless it's carbureted. It's an integral part of the FI system, otherwise it'd need a MAP sensor and I've never heard of anyone having one of those.

Here it is... on the driver's side of the TBI.

mafsideview.jpg

From: How To Clean Your MAF Sensor in the How-To section...

Every 88 Pathfinder has a MAF sensor unless it's carbureted. It's an integral part of the FI system, otherwise it'd need a MAP sensor and I've never heard of anyone having one of those.

Here it is... on the driver's side of the TBI.

mafsideview.jpg

From: How To Clean Your MAF Sensor in the How-To section...

hey, thanks for the info on the maf sensor on the '88 3.0. i'll be honest, i had no idea. i'm planning on pulling mine off this weekend. i'd like to think this could be part of my fuel consumption woes. once again, thaks.