Clutch problems pt 2

Mr. Pickles

Anybody here in the S. Puget Sound area that could give their word on a local shop for the work? I've done clutches before and could do it, but I seriously don't have the timeand/or patience. My summer is booked through late Sept. BTW, the *talk* my clutch made lately seemed to be her last song. Came to a stop light next to my bro, he was like "what the hell is that smell?" Come to find out, after a trip both up and down hill, not only was the Pathy making nasty noise but she smelled rather gross. darn Time for the fix.

Nice "darn." Guess this is the 1st time I've ever tested the limit of NPORA vocab. Probably a good thing though. The alternate verbage went something like :furious: . Oh well, back to the drawing board... P...

I had the clutch of my Hardbody done at the transmission place by McDonald's on Auburn way and 15th near BBs. They weren't bad, but $1000 seemed a little steep to me.

Yep $1000 that's when I decided that I would rather take the time and do stuff myself. But I don't drive my Pathy much, so I can take my time to get it done.

It is usually so spendy because they have to drop the t-bars, t-bar cross member and tranny to get to the clutch, you're looking at 6 hours of labor just to get to the clutch!

If you have the cash to spare I would reccomend having your tranny rebuilt while it's out, should only cost another $200-300 on top of a clutch job because they have already pulled the tranny.

Alternatley you could save some $$$$ by pulling that stuff yourself but then you would need a tow into the shop...

If you have the cash to spare I would reccomend having your tranny rebuilt while it's out, should only cost another $200-300 on top of a clutch job because they have already pulled the tranny.

Really? Just a couple hundred more? That's definately something to think about if everything is already out.

Yeah, it depends how much you want it rebuilt. If you want new syncros it might be a little more (but darn new syncros would be nice, at least for me).

Here is an example as to what the rebuild kits cost:

http://www.drivetrain.com/nissanFS5R30A5sp.html

And I hear the rebuild is pretty easy to do yourself if you have a good press, otherwise you are looking at maybe $200 of labour or so, so it may be more like $500 for a complete rebuild. I dunno for sure, ask around at some tranny shops, I just know you will save a lot of money if you bring them a bare tranny rather than letting them pull it and re install it at $60 an hour...

My current plan if to wait for either the clutch or tranny to go and get both redone at the same time, but so far so good (knock on wood).