Ome Lift

Chinook

I start to get more and more confused! I e-mailed ARB to request info about the OME lift I wanted to get some part number for the lift. When I got the part number from their book they advertised the lift as being 1/2" which is right wath I needed : http://arbusa.com/USA-Vehicle-Application-...-Pathfinder.pdf . The only problem is that everywhere like Rocky Road they say that the OME lift is 1.75"... No where in the ARB book they talk about a 1.75" lift... Who should I belive? I don't want to go higher than 1/2'' because I don't want to play with manual hub & I don't want to kick myself in the balls because I busted a CV joint 200 km in the wood due to a 1.75" lift... We should start a new topic (a clean one so that we dont have to go through 8 pages to find the info) with all the possible lift P/N, advertised lift & actual lift it would so much easier! Looking foreward to your input!

I totally understand your confusion, I just went through this too. The parts that Rocky Road sells are the same parts that ARB advertises as being a 1/2" lift. Rocky road sells the front in medium and heavy duty which translates to ARB's parts OME921 and OME923 respectively. ARB refers to these as stock/light and medium loads, adding to the confusion. If you click on the parts at the rocky road website and add them to the shopping cart the OME part number will appear so you can use this to cross reference to the ARB document. It appears that the heavy load front coils (OME928) are not sold by Rocky Road.

Most people on this forum will agree that with the OME923 fronts (refered to as heavy duty by rocky road and most on this board) you will get 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" lift and OME921 fronts (medium) you will get 1 to 1-1/2" and with OME922 rears (medium) you will get 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" lift. Also, most people on this board seem to agree that with this OME lift (either med or heavy duty fronts and medium rears) you do not need to change to manual hubs and you don't have to worry about busting cv joints. However, with that said, swapping to manual hubs is cheap and very easy to do (just did it last week) so it's not a big deal to be on the safe side.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit, anyone else correct me if I'm wrong :)

I totally understand your confusion, I just went through this too. The parts that Rocky Road sells are the same parts that ARB advertises as being a 1/2" lift. Rocky road sells the front in medium and heavy duty which translates to ARB's parts OME921 and OME923 respectively. ARB refers to these as stock/light and medium loads, adding to the confusion. If you click on the parts at the rocky road website and add them to the shopping cart the OME part number will appear so you can use this to cross reference to the ARB document. It appears that the heavy load front coils (OME928) are not sold by Rocky Road.

Most people on this forum will agree that with the OME923 fronts (refered to as heavy duty by rocky road and most on this board) you will get 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" lift and OME921 fronts (medium) you will get 1 to 1-1/2" and with OME922 rears (medium) you will get 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" lift. Also, most people on this board seem to agree that with this OME lift (either med or heavy duty fronts and medium rears) you do not need to change to manual hubs and you don't have to worry about busting cv joints. However, with that said, swapping to manual hubs is cheap and very easy to do (just did it last week) so it's not a big deal to be on the safe side.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit, anyone else correct me if I'm wrong :)

All the above info is excellent. I would have to ask why bother with a 1/2" of lift? If that is all you want over stock height just buy some bigger tires. I have the A/C lift which is advertised as 2" but is actually closer to 3". It will sag some after time, mainly in the front. This amount of lift will not trash the CV's all by itself. Quite a few folks on this board are running the AC lift and have been for a long time. Mine is over 1 year old. I have been places I most likely should have not gone but made it through quite well. The guys I off-road with are all Jeepers with 4-6" of lift and like to crawl over rocks the size of a Buick. Almost all trails have an easier route if you are not into the rocks. I do run 33" tires which helps get over bigger obstacles.

The R-50's all come with 33 spline axels which are unreal strong. You would have to do something really stupid to break one. I have added the Warn Hubs to mine which is an easy and pretty cheap addition. With them you can dis-connect the front axels while not off-road. Also, if you do actually snap a CV joint you can still disconnect and drive home. The Warn's are just a great safety precaution for wheeling in the pucker bushes.

Guess it boils down to what you want to do in the dirt. The Pathfinders are very sturdy off-roaders. Mine does stuff that all the Jeep folks can not believe.

Keep in mind that the more off-roading you do, the more you want to do. What looks like a really scary obstacle the first time will fast become nothing more than a speed bump and you will want to do more things.

My humble opinion, and it is not guranteed to be worth much, is to go for the AC lift ( or similar OME ), run at least 31" tires, get the Warn Hubs and pick up a limited slip diff. You will be amazed and very happy with what your Pathfinder will do for you.

I've been trying to research this topic as well, and like the original poster, am not looking for a lot of lift at all. In fact, I've just been trying to find the best springs to replace the stock ones, while maintaining close to the same height. Mine are just plain wore out, and I want to get some stability back to the ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for springs that are simply OEM replacements, and where to find them (if the OME's aren't the right ones that is). Thanks.

I've been trying to research this topic as well, and like the original poster, am not looking for a lot of lift at all. In fact, I've just been trying to find the best springs to replace the stock ones, while maintaining close to the same height. Mine are just plain wore out, and I want to get some stability back to the ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for springs that are simply OEM replacements, and where to find them (if the OME's aren't the right ones that is). Thanks.

The only ones I know about are OME and the AC lift coils. The OME choices are the best other than finding a custom shop to build new coils. They most likely have the closest thing to stock. A slight lift will new coils will not hurt anything, carry a bigger load and the rig will look better. A win-win situation.

i would tend to shy away from stock coils as they have been known to wear out quickly and youll be in the same boat that your in now