"front Tube" Exhaust Leak

varn

2002 Pathfinder 4WD

So, I've found some info that my "front tubes" as Nissan calls them are leaking on my exhaust system - most notable when cold. Nissan Bullet NTBO4-092 calls them "front tube", anyway. The look like Catalytic Converts to me.

The Catalytic Converter is covered under warranty up to 80K miles or 8 years.

Checked the owners manual, and there isn't a catalytic converter in the manual. Are these really Catalytic Converters?

(The service bulletin says "The front tubes may look like catalysts, but they are (by design) NOT catalysts."

Confused.

• 2 weeks later...
They are resonator tubes, not cats. I have yet to see Nissan cover any exhaust problems under warranty or for free on any vehicle older than one or two years.

Thanks for the response. So, where's the catalytic converter? It's not mentioned in the diagram they provide in the manual I have.

I believe you have two pre-cats at the base of the exhaust manifolds, then the resonator tubes, then the cat, then you have a resonator and then a muffler with a tailpipe. Crazy, huh?

Get yourself a factory service manual, there are several places you can download one for free, like phatG20.net.

I would JB weld that thing and call it a day. Contacting the dealership will be more of an effort than it's worth. I had both front tubes replaced because they were both rotted out and leaking, but I'd just bought the truck from Carmax and they were replaced under warranty.

Like I said, JB Weld's your friend :D