Strut Stud Length

tmorgan4

Anyone have an old strut mount laying around? I need to know the length of the strut on the upper mount. There's 3 of them...take your pick. :laugh:

Your parts description is unclear. Which part are you referring to?

05upperstrutparts_close.jpg

Do you need EXACT measurements? If so, sorry, my struts are attached to the truck.

However, from memory, I would guess the studs are no more than an inch in length, with the top few mm being unthreaded.

09strut_mountplate.jpg

16newstrut.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

Stock shaft length is 1.10 in. studpathy.jpg

Now I know the length but, what size bolts are they, 3/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. Since the bolts have to be replaced to accommodate the spacers does it matter if they are fine or coarse thread? Would it be better to use a lock washer or just torque them down.

Now I know the length but, what size bolts are they, 3/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. Since the bolts have to be replaced to accommodate the spacers does it matter if they are fine or coarse thread? Would it be better to use a lock washer or just torque them down.

I think they were 3/8 coarse with split lock washers at the nut and flat washers top and bottom. Tyler will confirm this if i'm right. Get a spare lock washer as the stud closest to the motor is near impossible to get a wrench on and you are better off putting a lock washer at the bolt head too and hitting it with an air impact to get the torque on it. The other two you can get a wrench on it.

Edited by Acey

Use a 3/8" diameter grade 8 bolt. The fine thread works better and stays tight better. I would use a regular washer on both the top and bottom of the bolt and a lock washer wouldn't hurt. Use grade 8 washers if you can too. They won't compress as much and help keep those bolts from loosening up.

Use a 3/8" diameter grade 8 bolt. The fine thread works better and stays tight better. I would use a regular washer on both the top and bottom of the bolt and a lock washer wouldn't hurt. Use grade 8 washers if you can too. They won't compress as much and help keep those bolts from loosening up.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I shall be salivating in anticipation of receiving my shiney new spacers.